Fraud on Sky account.

Hi Everyone, 

Yesterday I woke up to find a string of emails from sky stating my order of *two* brand new iphones and contracts had been successful and the orders would be delivered on Monday. The total of this was just shy of £3,000. 

I immediately contacted sky as this was nothing to do with me (in fact, I actually thought the emails were those fake ones trying to get you to log in and give details, so phoned directly) but it was genuine and someone had accessed my account at 1:47am and placed these orders. 

I cancelled them but logged into my account to see they were still showing as active so phoned back. I was assured it had been cancelled. 

This morning I got a text from DPD confirming the delivery slot for the two phones. Called sky back who said they were now definitely cancelled ( we will see). They then put me through to a lady who for all intents and purposes accused us of being the ones to order these phones. She used a phrase similar too 'domestic fraud'. since the address the iPhones would be delivered too hadn't been altered. They had changed the email address - I could see they had and had changed it back the correct one. But this lady was adamant that there was no change of email address showing her end and again all buy accused me of lying that this had happened. She went on to say perhaps I logged on and looked at iPhones and placed the order without realising (how is this even possible?! Twice?!) then said well, maybe someone else has my password? Maybe I shared it with a relative etc etc. I was adamant that this is impossible. Only I know those log in details (unless a scammer somehow got hold of a data breach) and it absolutely was not done by me. 

Begrudgingly, she then agreed to refer this on to be investigated - very much with a tone of 'Well, we will put it through the be investigated but we are pretty confident it will find it was an error on your end so are you REALLY sure you want us to look into it?' 

I have been told someone might (!) contact me again in the next few days with an update. 

Does anyone have experience with this? I am fuming with sky and the way they have dealt with this. They also tried to sell me sky multi-rooms while on the call!! I do agree it is odd that they didn't edit the address details. I am not sure how whoever did this would benefit since the phones are arriving at my address? Has this happened to anyone before?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 August 2021 at 1:23PM
    If they attempt to deliver them refuse them , deliberately take a picture of the driver and their van registration 

There are scams where a "courier " turns up later on to collect the phones "as they were delivered in error " 
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa said:
    If they attempt to deliver them refuse them , deliberately take a picture of the driver and their van registration 

There are scams where a "courier " turns up later on to collect the phones "as they were delivered in error " 
    Thank you, I will make sure to do this. We also have a ring doorbell so hopefully that will capture it all. I have already stated I will refuse delivery as they originally said I would have to post them back and I am not being liable for returning £3,000 of equipment! 
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Take it you have changed your passwords .
  • JJ_Egan said:
    Take it you have changed your passwords .
    Yes I have :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure