Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Daz2009 said:
    sarah1972 said:
    Daz2009 said:
    I suppose price is going to depend on what nuts are in the mix.  Do you have any preferences or requirements?
    No,I don't mind at all although they're going in cereal bars so whole nuts are going to be too big,hence I buy chopped
    Ah that makes my link irrelevant, sorry you didn’t mention they were chopped in your OP.
    not necessarily,I could chop them if I knew how lol
    Freezer bag and rolling pin usually does the job (not coconuts, tho.)  :)
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 822 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Daz2009 said:
    sarah1972 said:
    Daz2009 said:
    I suppose price is going to depend on what nuts are in the mix.  Do you have any preferences or requirements?
    No,I don't mind at all although they're going in cereal bars so whole nuts are going to be too big,hence I buy chopped
    Ah that makes my link irrelevant, sorry you didn’t mention they were chopped in your OP.
    You can use a chefs knife in a rocking motion, herb chopper, or whack them with a rolling pin while they're safely contained in a bag as mentioned by someone else. A food processor would also work, but be careful as they can end up too fine very quickly. 
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia said:g
    Lidl nuts include whole Mixed Nuts.  They are normally £1.59 for 200g, but often appear on the weekend offers (all the nuts do), when they are typically £1.19.

But whilst we're on the subject, these tend to lose their freshness quickly. I have bought numerous bags and it's always the hazelnuts at fault, they go bitter.
    Unfortunately nuts go rancid very quickly if they are not used up.  I use a lot of nuts and found that if I bought them in bulk I ended up throwing some away.

I buy them in The Grape Vine or one of those shops that sells dry goods loose, you take your own containers.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    But whilst we're on the subject, these tend to lose their freshness quickly. I have bought numerous bags and it's always the hazelnuts at fault, they go bitter.
    Unfortunately nuts go rancid very quickly if they are not used up.  I use a lot of nuts and found that if I bought them in bulk I ended up throwing some away.
    I suppose this is dependant on how fresh the nuts are at point of sale.  Some supermarket nuts I've bought have already been well past their best.  OTOH 4 kg of mixed nuts that came from an ebay shop were really crisp and crunchy and stayed that way for the ~4 months it took me to munch through them.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,959 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Daz2009 said:
    sarah1972 said:
    Daz2009 said:
    I pop mine in my processor and pulse until chopped enough x 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would buy whole nuts, put them on a solid, thick chopping voard, cover them with a clean teatowel, then whack em with a meat tenderiser or small mallet. Great stress reliever. Alternatively, if your food processor is up to the job, use that in batches. What you don't want though, is a ruined processor and nuts smelling of burnt plastic.

If you use the price per 100g as a consistent price marker, you can earch for bargains anywhere. I have bought mine from Costco, from offers on Holland & Barrett, on offer at Morrisons, in Poundland, from Lidl and on offer at Tesco. 
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Aldi has introduced a new range of baking ingredients.   AFAICT, these include Chopped Mixed Nuts, Chopped Apricot, Coconut and Chopped Dates.  

The Chopped Nuts are 99p for 175g.
  • MrsStepford
    Options
    Poundland is selling Whitworths Nibbly Nuts. 300g monkey nuts, 100g almonds, 100g walnuts, all £1 each. 
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Poundland is selling Whitworths Nibbly Nuts. 300g monkey nuts, 100g almonds, 100g walnuts, all £1 each. 
    I don't find Poundland that cheap for things like this.   Although their Smoked Almonds are delicious.
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh !!!!!!,I was in Poundland earlier but hadn't seen this message
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure