🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Dilemma on my hands

Options
Deal all, 

I am new to this forum, even if I have been reading it for a long time, and have decide to join as I am currently facing a dilemma. 
In short, we recently sold our second property. Many reasons behind this but primarily because we had reached the point where we would be able to get enough cash to clear completely our main mortgage. 

We completed a couple of months back and the money have been sitting in the bank account since (as we need to wait some months before we can avoid some heavy fees on the ERC). However while the money have been sitting quietly in our savings account I have been wondering if this is indeed the right strategy? it is a substantial amount of cash and I keep wondering if it does not make more sense to keep servicing a mortgage at the current very low interest and instead using the cash for other investments. It is very tempting I must say and I keep thinking that we could really do better if we were to invest this capital smartly. On the other hand, the peace of mind of being mortgage free is really appealing given the current times. Dilemma, dilemma. 

My question to you all: if you were ever in this situation, what did you keep telling yourself to stick to the plan? I suppose I know in my heart that mortgage/debt free is an incredibly privileged position to be in, but the FOMO feeling is quite strong also.

Any thoughts anyone? 

p.s.: I looked for a newbies intro post place but could not find it. I am sorry if I have inadvertently broken forum etiquette!   

Comments

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport