Email Accounts / You Tube Accounts/Apple Icloud Accounts/Google etc ....

Options
another_casualty
another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 30 July 2021 at 10:58AM in Techie Stuff
Apologies in advance for the boring discussion title..
This is a rant (sorry), but also shows the mess that could easily be avoided if things were just left alone so to speak.

The first thing I'd like to point out is that I only have one email address. That is a Google one which I have had for many years.
When back in the day I was with Virgin and then BT, I had those as well.  
I have everything Apple ( whatever) 
I have one You Tube acct.
So here are my gripes with unnecessary complications ...

1) When sending emails , ICLOUD  appears automatically . This is my gmail address with icloud replacing gmail. . When I scroll down, my You Tube Username  at gmail .com
appears. It's an inoffensive name obviously, but if I send from my ipad then my ordinary gmail acct is there to use.
The reason my You Tube name appears is because of Google Buying You Tube.

2) Apple ID cannot be changed from my OLD BT ACCOUNT . I managed to add my gmail acct to it , but I have to keep reminding them at times when purchasing etc
I've been through the mill, so I'll leave it there

3)This morning I decided to change my You Tube Username back to my normal name.
   I am not sure whether I can delete the icloud email address , or if it's really worth bothering to do so.

What has been annoying is that when posting reviews on Trustpilot good or bad and sending stuff off to employment agencies etc, either my icloud or You Tube username has appeared instead of my normal email address.

This morning after completing a music download from Ableton , I couldn't download authorisation due to a bug somewhere.
When I sent email, I had to advise them to ignore the icloud address and reply via my gmail address as usual.

Time to relax ....)

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options
    1) iCloud is an Apple thing so its hardly surprising they want you to use it....  Google bought YouTube back in 2006 so the Gmail thing is hardly new.  There was a stage where if you signed up for any Google service you got a free Gmail account with it.

2) Perils of ISP email.  If you have no access to it and you need it to remove it, you're sort of stuck.

3) iCloud is nothing to do with YouTube and YouTube is nothing to do with iCloud.  They are two separate things.

Re: the rest of the post... You could always just set up a totally new email at Gmail/Yahoo/Outlook.com and use that for TrustPilot/employment agencies/whatever...
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks @Neil_Jones😼
    I did think about having another email address. Something to consider.
    I was thinking of the amount of emails I have on all devices,and was considering removing them all except for iPad . That's probably not possible , due to the shenanigans mentioned...
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Which email app are you using? I assume it is Apple Mail and it is defaulting to your Apple ID instead of your gmail one. I don’t use Apple Mail myself (I use Spark on all my devices) but for gmail it might be an idea to use the gmail app, then only add your gmail account to it and it should always default to that. Another option is to check your mail settings in the settings app, under Mail > Accounts, and make sure that your gmail account is set up to collect mail (i.e. the “Mail” option is set to “on”).

I’m not sure what to do about the iCloud account in this situation though. My iCloud account uses my gmail address as the username, so it seems to default to that, whereas yours is different, but as I say I don’t use the default mail app for this reason, and I have the gmail account set to “off” for mail collection and have set this up separately through the Spark app’s settings. This gives me full control over which accounts to collect mail for and which one is the default. Apple’s mail options have always been a bit weird but I guess it’s to be expected that they default to the iCloud account rather than a Google one.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2021 at 1:56PM
    Options
    Thanks @tempus_fugit😼
    It is indeed the Apple Mail app that I have always been using . 
    I haven't downloaded the Google App just yet , but that seems the logical thing to do now 
    I have changed my username on you tube app back to my first name . Tbh I've never commented on anything anyway, just added likes to music videos etc

I'll look into what yourself and Neil Jones have  mentioned above , and things should be smoother . Never heard of Spark though , but sounds like I don't really need it . 
    Regarding Apple Mail, it seems to be locked between my you tube name and the iCloud one . 
    I could add another account , putting my present gmail one in there but it seems I don't need to bother if I am going to use the Google App ..
  • mrochester
    mrochester Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can change the email address you use to login to your iCloud account with here https://appleid.apple.com/

You can also set the default email address used when composing an email in settings --> Mail --> Default Account.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks @mrochester😼
    Will sort this out in the next few days ..
  • pbartlett
    pbartlett Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    depending on what's on the disks, you might want go overwrite with zeros after formatying eg use eraser
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback