Another Energy Direct Debit Whinge! But not what you might expect....

Options
Once again I have received a summer energy bill and the company has dropped my direct debit in half because it thinks I will not use enough energy to warrant the current DD amount. But, they choose to ignore the fact that I have carefully calculated my normal annual consumption in KwH using previous bills, and averaged a DD payment over 12 months. Their current action would mean I will fall into severe debit at the end of next Winter. Moreover, they provide no telephone number on their app and the chat line has said 'no agents available' since I joined them 4 months back. I was with edf and this was one of the reasons I switched. Now I am with British Gas and the same has happened without consulting me. This time the amended amount would put me £800 in debt at the end of the 12 month period. Yes, I use a lot of electricity it would seem, but that's not the point. Computer says no.....

Comments

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Simply leave the money in your account, then it'll be there when/ if it's needed later.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    British Gas do not amend my direct debits. They have advised  me that they should be amended but I have to go into my account and amend them myself.

Can you not go into your account and increase them again.
  • Tokmon
    Tokmon Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Once again I have received a summer energy bill and the company has dropped my direct debit in half because it thinks I will not use enough energy to warrant the current DD amount. But, they choose to ignore the fact that I have carefully calculated my normal annual consumption in KwH using previous bills, and averaged a DD payment over 12 months. Their current action would mean I will fall into severe debit at the end of next Winter. Moreover, they provide no telephone number on their app and the chat line has said 'no agents available' since I joined them 4 months back. I was with edf and this was one of the reasons I switched. Now I am with British Gas and the same has happened without consulting me. This time the amended amount would put me £800 in debt at the end of the 12 month period. Yes, I use a lot of electricity it would seem, but that's not the point. Computer says no.....

I never understand why people complain about this situation. I always want to underpay my direct debit for energy and the lower the better for me because i would much rather the money in my account than theirs. The money will simply build up in my bills account as i would still transfer the same each month and then when i switch it's ready to pay them.

It's much better for them to ask you for money and pay it when you switch than having to wait extended periods for them to refund your money!. 
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    You have 2 options, keep it aside because you know you'll need it later, or do what I did and ask them to increase it to an amount 1/12th of forecast usage.
    I know we could have the money in our account, but given the pants interest rate on our emergency easy access savings it make no difference really.
    We're with Neon Reef and they do not appear to raise bills monthly, meaning that my spreadsheet keeps me on track.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I remember E.On let me get £700 in debt at one time but that was in the good old days of 5% in a savings account :)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tokmon said:

I never understand why people complain about this situation. I always want to underpay my direct debit for energy and the lower the better for me because i would much rather the money in my account than theirs. The money will simply build up in my bills account as i would still transfer the same each month and then when i switch it's ready to pay them.

It's much better for them to ask you for money and pay it when you switch than having to wait extended periods for them to refund your money!. 

I pay my directs debits from my Santander account, getting 2% cashback on energy bills.  That means I earn on the whole bill a sum I'd not get in my current account or any savings now. 

Npower paid any overpayment prompted. We've just moved to Octopus, so don't. Know what they do. We're unlikely to be in credit this time, though. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback