Smart meter - or not so smart

Yesterday my SMETS2 meter arrived complete with Chameleon readout. It replaced a SMETS1, and its brilliant readout told me absolutely everything right down to half-hourly history.

The SMETS2 Chameleon tells me what is happening right now, and all day yesterday, etc - but there is no way to track the immediate past, like what happened last night with my Economy 7. It does not even tell me my day and night meter readings, preferring instead to lump the two together which is of absolutely zero value.

To get actual meter readings, you have to interrogate the actual meter and it takes many actions with pushing and holding buttons whilst clutching instructions printed off the internet. Beyond the scope of many, and just how are we supposed to check our bills?

If this is supposed to be progress, then I'm appalled. Or perhaps they think we are all too stupid to want anything more than simple stuff. Or is it all a plot to hoodwink us..?

Comments

• Your meter has to be set up by your supplier. Before it can send out requests; set tariff information etc, the supplier has to install a security certificate on each meter: one supplier - one meter. The reason that you cannot track the recent past data is because your data now goes through the DCC not direct to your supplier. Have you opted for 30 minute data?

The Chameleon IHD 6 will also show your meter index readings.

If you want day to day data, then I suggest that you download BRIGHT App. It is managed by Hildebrand which is a registered DCC user. Once you have signed up, you will get daily; monthly etc graphs and cost and usage information.
  • Dolor, thank you, and you seem to know quite a bit about this., excellent!

Okay, so questions please:

They have given me an IHD-3, might they give me a -6 if I ask for one?
    Can I buy one on the open market?
    If yes to either, can I install and connect it myself?

What is DCC please?

I've opted for monthly readings to my supplier, but surely this does not affect the availability of half-hourly info to the readout?

I'll look at the BRIGHT app, might solve everything!
  • Dolor, I cannot thank you enough.
    BRIGHT app set up within minutes and I now have half-hourly data that I can monitor from anywhere, fantastic!
    😁
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 July 2021 at 8:02AM
    Bobcat321 said:
    Dolor, thank you, and you seem to know quite a bit about this., excellent!

Okay, so questions please:

They have given me an IHD-3, might they give me a -6 if I ask for one?
    Can I buy one on the open market?
    If yes to either, can I install and connect it myself?

What is DCC please?

I've opted for monthly readings to my supplier, but surely this does not affect the availability of half-hourly info to the readout?

I'll look at the BRIGHT app, might solve everything!
    If you go to the Hildebrand website and shop, you can purchase an IHD/CAD. Only a supplier or registered DCC User can connect it to your meter. This applies to all third-party devices. The IHD/CAD will allow you to pull data to see your usage and costs throughout the day. You can also download all the data using MQTT. Hildebrand Support is exceptional (and before you ask, I do not work for them).

The DCC is the Data Communications Company that runs the smart meter network. They also provide the secure comms hub that is linked to your electricity meter. The DCC does  NOT* hold any of your data. To access your data, your supplier has to use a secure piece of software known as an Adaptor. This connects to the DCC network. The Adaptor pulls data from your meter once every 24 hours. If you have elected for 30 minute data, the pulled data will comprise of an index reading and 48 half hour blocks of data in an XML file. Your supplier may bill you on index readings or like Octopus on 30 minute usage times the tariff.

If you want full visibility of your usage via your supplier’s account you should elect for 30 minute recording. This will be the default position by 2025. Moreover, as we move more towards time of use tariffs, historical data will be used to inform price comparison websites to show you which is the cheapest time of use tariff. For these tariffs. kWhs/year will no longer work. BEIS is already trialling one such tool. I am sure that PCWs such as MSE will follow - however, before doing so they will either have to become registered DCC Users or link to a company such as Hildebrand that has gone through the DCC User registration process.

* thanks to Gerry for pointing out my error.
  • Thank you again, all useful to know
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure