Help understanding Interest Rates

Hi

Could someone sense-check my workings on Credit Card Interest Rates?

I have a number of cards, and whilst I have no Balance Transfer Offers, I want to ensure I am benefitting from using the correct card.

Each card seems to report their interest rates differently, so I just need to check with others which is the lowest rate, and then utilise that to repay the debts off better.

Card One: Aqua. Reports the interest rate as "Annual Simple Interest Rate". This is 40.534% (yes, it is high, this is the card I want to move funds away from)
Card Two: Vanquis: Reports the interest rate as "Monthly Rate". This is 2.16%

Am I correct that the interest rate for Vanquis is 25.92% and the rate for Aqua is 40.534%

If so, then moving the balance of the Aqua Card onto the Vanquis would reduce my interest significantly. Is this correct?

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Vanquis will be 29.23% - compounding. still better than Aqua
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GN_TDCI
    GN_TDCI Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks MG

That's where I was confusing myself. I assume that the AQUA Annual is a compounded rate already, and then as the Vanquis was simple it needed to be compounded first?

Thanks for the help.

Looks like about £152.26 in savings AND clearing the balance off 4 months earlier too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback