Cash gift to small charity shop

I had a few bags of 'coppers' (decided to stop collecting for grandsons now they're older - bank transfers easier!).  Counted & bagged in correct denominations & amounts, £3 whole & 70p mixed. 

Took it in to a local charity shop & asked if it could be donated, the response...............NO!  Maybe they didn't want to bank it with other takings, only the 70p would need counting, the rest was in the proper banking cash bags. If it would present some sort of cash till accounting problem couldn't they log it as the sale of an item?

Oh well, if they don't want free money.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Comments

• clearancer
    clearancer Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Didn’t they have a collection tin on the counter? I was relieved to see my local Sainsbury’s put their charity pot back on the counter last month. I got rid of a quids worth of copper that had been rattling in the car
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Didn’t they have a collection tin on the counter? I was relieved to see my local Sainsbury’s put their charity pot back on the counter last month. I got rid of a quids worth of copper that had been rattling in the car
    No, shame really but total disinterest was my impression. It's a community charity shop, so I might try one of the named charity shops instead. 
  • JJC1956
    JJC1956 Posts: 328 Forumite
    I’m surprised they didn’t take the cash BUT in their defence Banks don’t take cash unless it is in minimum amounts.
    £5.00 Bags 1p 2p 5p and 10p coins £10 Bags 20p 50p coins and £20 Bags for £1.00 coins.
    Vote with your feet, don’t go back there.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    If there was no collection tin on the counter I'm not too surprised they didn't want the loose change.

• SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    jon81uk said:
    If there was no collection tin on the counter I'm not too surprised they didn't want the loose change.

I am!

At some point they must bank their cash from sales. Bronze money goes as low as £1 in the correct bags, as 1p or 2p pieces, which is how I'd bagged it (no mixing except for the odd 70p).  

As suggested, I'll vote with my feet & in future I'll use collection boxes elsewhere for odd coppers as I go along.  Must be doing OK if they can turn down free money.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
     Although you had bagged they would have to count it out to check it.  Not ideal in the present circumstances.

Maybe their sales were paid by contactless.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's maybe just more hassle than it's worth. 
    Maybe if it was £37 they would consider it.
    They might have a policy not to accept cash.
    It will probably need counted again to make sure it is the right amount.
    I have a small shop near me that is always looking for change so maybe just ask you local shop. 
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I had a few bags of 'coppers' (decided to stop collecting for grandsons now they're older - bank transfers easier!).  Counted & bagged in correct denominations & amounts, £3 whole & 70p mixed. 

Took it in to a local charity shop & asked if it could be donated, the response...............NO!  Maybe they didn't want to bank it with other takings, only the 70p would need counting, the rest was in the proper banking cash bags. If it would present some sort of cash till accounting problem couldn't they log it as the sale of an item?

Oh well, if they don't want free money.
    It depends on the amount, but they might not have the facilities to handle it, they might not be able to process it through their system, logging it as a sale when none occurred would be false accounting. Additionally there would be a cost of banking it to them.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    They'd still have to count the bagged money.

Volunteers' time has value.  When you don't have enough volunteer time to go round, you need to make sure that every minute is spent in the best way.  If they had a volunteer who could spend 10 minutes redoing a display that would make them £5, it would be silly for them to not to do that in order to take your £3.70.

I don't like how people see charity shops as an easy way to get rid of stuff they can't be bothered dealing with themselves.  If you really wanted the charity to have your cash, you could pay it into your own account and then transfer it, or wait until they are able to have collection boxes out again.  Or spend your coppers in a shop and donate a couple of pound coins.  
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    This morning I got yet another plastic bag from a charity for  collection of  unwanted clothes- generally get one a week .

On that bag it states' our drivers are not authorised to collect cash'.

I expect the same could apply to volunteers in a charity shop.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback