How to move photos from Android phone to USB stick?

Si_Clist
Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
My wife has a load of photos on her Android phone that we wish to move to a USB stick.  We know how to do this via a laptop, but we now have a Chromebook and the whole process has baffled us.  Can some kind soul please explain in simple terms how it is done?
A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Presumably she allows her photos to be backed up via her Google account, in which case she just needs to access the Photos app on the Chromebook as all the photos should be there and download them, then copy onto the USB stick.
  • Could you outline your procedure for this using a PC, not sure why a chromebook would be different (I have one of each and an Android phone)
  • Si_Clist
    neilmcl said:
    Presumably she allows her photos to be backed up via her Google account, in which case she just needs to access the Photos app on the Chromebook as all the photos should be there and download them, then copy onto the USB stick.
    Thank you. Well, there's nothing in her Photos app so presumably she doesn't allow them to be backed up like that.  I guess it might be a good idea if she did, so I did a search on how to set it up.  Alas we can't fathom it out, so as I'm running out of free time this evening I'll have to come back to this in the morning ...

A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Si_Clist said:
    neilmcl said:
    Thank you. Well, there's nothing in her Photos app so presumably she doesn't allow them to be backed up like that.  I guess it might be a good idea if she did, so I did a search on how to set it up.  Alas we can't fathom it out, so as I'm running out of free time this evening I'll have to come back to this in the morning ...

Open the Photos app, tap on your account profile on the top right and you can see your backup status and whether it's switched on or not from there.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Could you outline your procedure for this using a PC, not sure why a chromebook would be different (I have one of each and an Android phone)
    A Chromebook doesn't have local storage so you can't copy the photos to the computer's disk and then copy them onto a stick like you would do with a regular computer.
  • pbartlett
    pbartlett Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    You could buy a cheap OTG (on the go) cable and copy the photos from your phone direct to the USB drive

Google it or, eg, see here part 2:

How to Transfer Photos from Android Phone to USB Flash Drive (coolmuster.com)
  • wongataa said:
    Could you outline your procedure for this using a PC, not sure why a chromebook would be different (I have one of each and an Android phone)
    A Chromebook doesn't have local storage so you can't copy the photos to the computer's disk and then copy them onto a stick like you would do with a regular computer.
    Chromebook I'm typing this on has 32GB of local storage, think that's pretty standard. 
  • Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    And how much usable storage do you have?

Does it come with an SD card slot you could use to expand local storage?
    Jenni x
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 27 July 2021 at 11:34AM

Jenni_D said:
    And how much usable storage do you have?

Does it come with an SD card slot you could use to expand local storage?
    About 14GB free space available (5GB of that allocated to Linux), no sd slot on this Acer 14. 
  • Si_Clist
    edited 27 July 2021 at 1:03PM
    Aaaaaargh!!!!!  I'm losing the will to live here.  OK ... with your help we've finally arrived at the situation where my wife's phone is now set up to automatically back up all her pictures to Google Photos, and it's just finished doing that.  I now want to download them all so I can copy them to the USB stick, but despite several searches on Google we still can't work out how to select all on a Chromebook.
    So, starting with Photos open on her Chromebook, exactly what do I do in order to select all so that I can then presumably see the three dots top right via which I can download all the pictures?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback