Affordability for rental and impact of Covid

RachelNERachelNE Forumite
4 Posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
I’m needing to relocate to begin a new job. Covid forced me to reside with my parents due to being a new business owner and not deemed important to sufficiently support. I still had a zero hours contract with a part time job and was furloughed on sub £100/week, with my business being closed for most of the past 18 months. 

When it comes to a question of rental, I’m being told that it’s unlikely I will pass an affordability check because of my very low income over the past 12 months. I’m able to provide 6 months rent up front, work references and a guarantor (who has been earning sufficiently) yet this is not good enough. 

I’m looking to move to the Stoke or Crewe area and finding it very difficult to find private landlords (who still may want to run affordability checks). 

For anyone have any suggestions or places where I can look for support otherwise I will need to turn this job down?

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    11.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you not lodge until you've been in your job a while.
  • keepcalmandstayoutofdebtkeepcalmandstayoutofdebt Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It might be old hat now, but years ago you use to be able to approach the local council for lists/details of local landlords they hold, when struggling to get accommodation.

Re Joined Slimming Word in group 02/06/21   ..   Want to lose every week! 6 lbs gone to date

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RachelNE said:

When it comes to a question of rental, I’m being told that it’s unlikely I will pass an affordability check because of my very low income over the past 12 months. I’m able to provide 6 months rent up front, work references and a guarantor (who has been earning sufficiently) yet this is not good enough. 

Who told you this? Usually paying rent upfront helps a lot, as does having a guarantor, although some agencies/landlords will ask for a home owner guarantor.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would lodge not rent initially. At least until you passed your probationary period and know the job is going to work out.
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    RachelNE said:

Usually paying rent upfront helps a lot, 
    You'd think so, but it is also a method used if the proposed tenant intends to turn the property into a cannabis factory - when the rent stops, the LL eventually visits the property to find a wreck, unless informed by the "authorities" first.
  • edited 21 July at 3:45PM
    lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 July at 3:45PM
    RachelNE said:

Usually paying rent upfront helps a lot, 
    You'd think so, but it is also a method used if the proposed tenant intends to turn the property into a cannabis factory - when the rent stops, the LL eventually visits the property to find a wreck, unless informed by the "authorities" first.
    Still might suit some landlords e.g. the ones who live next door to their rental properties (i mean paying upfront not the hash factory :-)
  • RachelNERachelNE Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    RachelNE said:

Who told you this? Usually paying rent upfront helps a lot, as does having a guarantor, although some agencies/landlords will ask for a home owner guarantor.
    I’ve spoken with 3 lettings agents who have informed me of this. 

Irrespective of whether the probationary period works out or not, I will be remaining in the area for university next year so still require somewhere to live. 

My father is my guarantor and is a homeowner. Between us we would be earning over 7 times what the monthly rent is yet this is all an issue because of my affordability over the past 12 months (which is not representative of my income going forward).  

• RachelNERachelNE Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Can you not lodge until you've been in your job a while.
    This isn’t really an option as I need to use a garage or outhouse space to set up and record my self employed business work from. 
  • FlugelhornFlugelhorn Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    suspect wanting something like that limits the market a bit

only experience I have of renting recently was becoming guarantor for son, he was well short of the salary needed but they were happy that he was getting help from me. 
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Assuming your father satisfies the requirements as a guarantor, then all the other stuff about rent in advance or your affordability seems irrelevant.  Earnings level aside, are there other liabilities your father carries that mean it is his affordability rather than yours that is being taken as the obstacle?

Also, is it possible that mentioning using the outhouse for self-employed trading is putting LA's off - particularly if they think you'll be noisy and attracting complaints to their office?