Killing Weeds

Options
Hi folks,

I've just bought a new home and it seems the garden has been ignored by the builders. There are some weeds in the back garden. I've never been a garden enthusiast, but I thought I've come to an age where I could learn a new skill. Unfortunately, I cannot afford someone to come and treat the lawn right now as all my money has been spent on buying the house. 

So, I've researched a few chemicals and I can't really understand what I should use. I've got a mix of weeds in the back garden. There aren't loads of them, but I'd definitely get on top of them and get the lawn clean while we have the weather. My garden is probably 100-120 Sq M,  so not massive. 

So it seems I need a weed killer, a surfactant chemical to the leaf, and a dye as it will make my job easier to see where I have sprayed. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced chemical for this? 

Should I cut the weeds before I spray them? I've had a thought about this and it seems that I shouldn't as they will then have enough leaves to absorb the chemicals. Am I right in thinking this? 

I've also got some dry patches on the lawn, what is the best time to sow some seeds there? Before spraying the chemical or 2-3 weeks after? 

Many thanks for reading and thanks in advance if you are happy to help

Comments

• Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,802 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

So, I've researched a few chemicals and I can't really understand what I should use. I've got a mix of weeds in the back garden. There aren't loads of them, but I'd definitely get on top of them and get the lawn clean while we have the weather. My garden is probably 100-120 Sq M,  so not massive. 

It really depends on what kind of weeds they are - sometimes it is better (and cheaper) to pull/dig weeds out of the ground rather than using chemicals.  Some pictures would help get you the best advice.

I wouldn't attempt sowing grass seed before using any chemical lawn treatments, and not while the weather is hot and sunny.  Ideally you need to wait until it cools down, and there is a reasonable prospect of regular rain. Otherwise you'll need to do a lot of watering.
  • peacetrustlove
    Options
    Section62 said:

It really depends on what kind of weeds they are - sometimes it is better (and cheaper) to pull/dig weeds out of the ground rather than using chemicals.  Some pictures would help get you the best advice.

I wouldn't attempt sowing grass seed before using any chemical lawn treatments, and not while the weather is hot and sunny.  Ideally you need to wait until it cools down, and there is a reasonable prospect of regular rain. Otherwise you'll need to do a lot of watering.
    I'll try to get some pictures today.
  • NSG666
    NSG666 Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a read of the info on Verdone (might now be called weedol). If necessary / appropriate you can use line band or similar to mark out the area and help you keep track of where you have applied it.
    Sorry I can't think of anything profound, clever or witty to write here.
  • Troytempest
    Troytempest Posts: 259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use a penknife and make sure I get the root out (depends on the type of weed). Don't have to do it in one session.

When most are out then weed and feed. Any bare patches sow seed in about September when warm and moist.
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,802 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    NSG666 said:
    Have a read of the info on Verdone (might now be called weedol). If necessary / appropriate you can use line band or similar to mark out the area and help you keep track of where you have applied it.
    "Weedol" is a registered trademark covering a range of garden herbicides. Verdone is no longer sold, but the manufacturers say one of the "Weedol" formulations is a direct replacement.

The problem is that "Verdone" itself was/is a tradename, rather than a specific chemical or formulation, with "Verdone Extra" probably being the product that people have used most recently.

The result is various online sellers and garden advice sites making use of the words "Verdone" and "Weedol" as if the products are all the same thing.

The only safe way of navigating through this infestation is to get hold of the correct safety data sheet for the exact same product being considered, then check the (active) ingredients (Section 3) for their effectiveness against the weeds of concern, and (very importantly) checking the impact on other plants, animals and humans.

E.g. "Weedol Ultra Tough Weedkiller" contains Glyphosate, which shouldn't be used on lawns (unless the intention is to kill everything and start again with new turf/seed).
    https://www.lovethegarden.com/sites/default/files/content/products/documents/spec_sheets/UK_010005_WE_msds.pdf

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I use Roundup which is just one brand name using glyphosate.  Roundup comes in a number of variants so check the % of the active ingredient as it doesn't always follow that the biggest bottle or highest concentration will provide 'most bang for your bucks'.  If the garden is very overgrown then I would cut back the worst and then wait a couple of weeks for new, young growth to appear. Then spray the entire area, excluding the lawn.  Glyphosate becomes inert on contact with the soil, but does travel right through the weeds, killing the roots.  More than one treatment will almost certainly be required because many weeds will already have thrown out seeds and they will still germinate.
  • Another_Level
    Options
    Yes above, roundup works. Although we cant see your weeds  <3 there may be a different approach and there are different roundups available.

Purchased my roundup from pitchcare.com They were very helpfull  :)

Choose Stabila ! 
  • Jeepers_Creepers
    Jeepers_Creepers Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 21 July 2021 at 3:10PM
    Options
    Def need a photo, ptl.
    If your garden is manly lawn (grass) but with a lot of weeds, then a 'selective' weedkiller would be the way to go - that'll kill the weeds but keep the grass.
    If you want to zap it all and start afresh (tho' it'll mean tilling the soil to some degree in order to sow new grass seed - a lot of work, and a lot of water), then just zap it all with Roundup or an equivalent.
    Don't bother with dye. Just get 2 ropes/cords and lay one out at 2m from one end, treat that with your sprinkler. Lay the next one 2m further along, and teat in between the two. Move the first one to 2 m beyond the second and yougettheidea. 
  • NSG666
    NSG666 Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 July 2021 at 5:03PM
    Options
    Section62 said:
    NSG666 said:
    "Weedol" is a registered trademark covering a range of garden herbicides. Verdone is no longer sold, but the manufacturers say one of the "Weedol" formulations is a direct replacement.

The problem is that "Verdone" itself was/is a tradename, rather than a specific chemical or formulation, with "Verdone Extra" probably being the product that people have used most recently.

The result is various online sellers and garden advice sites making use of the words "Verdone" and "Weedol" as if the products are all the same thing.

The only safe way of navigating through this infestation is to get hold of the correct safety data sheet for the exact same product being considered, then check the (active) ingredients (Section 3) for their effectiveness against the weeds of concern, and (very importantly) checking the impact on other plants, animals and humans.

E.g. "Weedol Ultra Tough Weedkiller" contains Glyphosate, which shouldn't be used on lawns (unless the intention is to kill everything and start again with new turf/seed).
    https://www.lovethegarden.com/sites/default/files/content/products/documents/spec_sheets/UK_010005_WE_msds.pdf

Ah, didn't know that I just remember I used to buy Verdone for my lawn from Wilko's then when I googled Verdone the first on the list was this:

Weedol (Verdone) Lawn Weed Killer Concentrate for Sprayer or Watering Can (lawnsmith.co.uk)
    Sorry I can't think of anything profound, clever or witty to write here.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,447 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you considered just mowing it and see what happens?
    Then, if it hasn't done what you like, you could attack it next year when maybe (?) funds allow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback