Multiple Maintenance grant/loans same household

Hi - I'm hoping somebody could provide me with some info or possibly point me in the right direction.

I am starting a course with Open University this September (living in Wales) and have applied for my student loan and maintenance grant/loan to help with living costs. 
I'm living away from home with a flatmate. Now my flatmate also wanted to start a course with the Open University the same academic year as me. Now I understand the maintenance grant/loan is dependant on household income, but my question would be that because I have already applied for it, is my flatmate also eligible for Maintenance grant and if so, would it be less because I too am getting it paid to me. Hope this makes sense. Any help much appreciated, cheers

TL:DR - Can maintenance grant/loan be earned by two students in same household?

Comments

• 2childmum2
    2childmum2 Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'm pretty certain 'household' means parents or a partner - not just someone you live with.  

What counts as household income

Your household income includes any of the following that apply:

• your parents’ income, if you’re under 25 and live with them or depend on them financially
    • the combined income of one of your parents and their partner, if you’re under 25 and live with them or depend on them financially
    • your partner’s income, if you’re over 25 and live with them (even if they spend most of their time abroad)
    • income you get from your own savings, investments or property, for example dividends or rent

If you’ve supported yourself financially for at least 3 years or had no contact with your parents for over a year, you might be able to apply as an ‘independent student’.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback