I feel robbed! Can this be right?

in Consumer Rights
8 replies 808 views
emzburemzbur Forumite
2 Posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi all, I wonder if you can help. I purchased a large mirror and stupidly ordered it to my workplace. When it arrived it obviously wasn’t going to fit in my car! So I used an online service that linked me with a well known courier. As the item what glass, the courier wouldn’t insure this item. The item has subsequently been damaged apparently in the warehouse and has never arrived. It has allegedly been destroyed. I have managed to recover the carriage fee but have nothing to show for the mirror which cost me £150. Can it be right that they don’t even have to deliver the broken item? How can a £150 item just go missing and I get left with nothing? Is there anything I can do?

Replies

• jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately you chose a courier that doesn't cover glass being carried on their service. Is there a reason you didn't look for a better courier who would cover it?

This is also why I don't use the brokers for couriers, its easier to go direct as you know exactly what you are signing up to then.
  • 68ComebackSpecial68ComebackSpecial Forumite
    485 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Sending a box full of broken glass to you has very obvious safety issues.
  • emzburemzbur Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    jon81uk said:
    Unfortunately you chose a courier that doesn't cover glass being carried on their service. Is there a reason you didn't look for a better courier who would cover it?

This is also why I don't use the brokers for couriers, its easier to go direct as you know exactly what you are signing up to then.
    I suppose part of my question is don’t they have to provide some sort of photographic proof that it got broken in the first place? In my head, it’s not actually broken, it’s just sitting in somebody’s front room as we speak! 
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What did their terms and conditions say? 
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    18.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not unreasonable for you to request a photo of the broken mirror. 

Otherwise they could claim items are broken and just keep them.

Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • photomephotome Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jon81uk said:

is there any couriers that cover/insure glass against damage
  • edited 22 July at 9:52AM
    sherambersheramber Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 July at 9:52AM
    Who delivered it in the first place?

Presumably, they covered it for damage.

And it must have been packed securely if it was't broken then and the OP didn't unwrap it / break it before forwarding it on.
  • mikbmikb Forumite
    432 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    sheramber said:
    Who delivered it in the first place?

Presumably, they covered it for damage.
    Not necessarily, it could be the senders are full aware that they won't cover glass/mirrors, and pack it accordingly, plus factor in a small amount of damaged items into their business plan. Probably cheaper to do that than pay for the insurance ;)