We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Is this St John's Wort?

Hi everyone, can anyone tell me whether this is St John's Wort? Can't see any perforations in the leaves. Many thanks

Comments

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Yes it is.
    I've only seen this common sort.
    There is Hypericum perforatum aparantly which must be what you are thinking.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Many thanks. Seem to be lots of types. Have been trying to grow this for years so I'm happy. 
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    It is, I spent ages trying to get rid of it, it can take over once it settles down
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Thanks, will see what it does.
  • 25_Years_On
    25_Years_On Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks, will see what it does.

It looks like a poor specimen of Tutsan. As Faraway says once established it can be a menace. My brother bought a house which had this in the garden and it gets everywhere and is a real nightmare.Other Hypericums are good whether wildflowers or garden varieties.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    @Farway can I ask how it takes over.? I have the shrub in the front garden but with large yellow flowers on. And the variegated  leaf type and white berry type in the back garden , all of which I prune after flowering. Do you mean the get too big or that the self seed? 
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    wort said:
    @Farway can I ask how it takes over.? I have the shrub in the front garden but with large yellow flowers on. And the variegated  leaf type and white berry type in the back garden , all of which I prune after flowering. Do you mean the get too big or that the self seed? 

They tend to get too large & spreading / flopping. I'm not sure if they root layer which helps them spread. The roots become a tangle as well which chokes any competition
    However maybe if kept under control they could do well and useful in right spot

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ah right , thanks for that I will watch for the root layering then .
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Yes, it is Hypericum, and yes there are several varieties from ground cover the 6'.
    The stuff does indeed spread - the one you have there does by underground runners - and i too heave this out by the fistful as neighbours don't tend their gardens and every weed in creation comes in here 😡
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback