Flying via the USA

I know we can’t go to the USA just now, but can we fly from UK to the US, change connecting flights in New York or Miami, then go directly elsewhere?

I’ve no idea if that’s the same as “going” to America? It’d be in the airport only, for a couple of hours.

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,922
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    No.

The USA has no in-transit facilities. You ‘land’ and enter the USA before another onward journey.
  • My friend just got to the UK from NY. The current rules are essentially the same as the upcoming amber list criteria. That required:

• Negative covid test taken within 72 hrs prior to departure

• Proof of 2 pre booked and paid for covid tests to be taken on days 2 & 8 after arrival

• 10 day strict quarantine on arrival, OR

• Optional proof of another pre booked covid test for day 5 after arrival to end quarantine after getting this result

• A detailed passenger locator form filled out before you fly outlining where you'll quarantine

Hopefully there's further adjustments over the summer, but green / yellow / red country announcement doesn't make me confident things will change anytime sooner. It seems like vaccine exemptions will be the most likely path to easier entry at some point.

• Ben1989
    Ben1989 Posts: 470
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 July 2021 at 2:04PM

My friend just got to the UK from NY. The current rules are essentially the same as the upcoming amber list criteria. That required:

• Negative covid test taken within 72 hrs prior to departure

• Proof of 2 pre booked and paid for covid tests to be taken on days 2 & 8 after arrival

• 10 day strict quarantine on arrival, OR

• Optional proof of another pre booked covid test for day 5 after arrival to end quarantine after getting this result

• A detailed passenger locator form filled out before you fly outlining where you'll quarantine

Hopefully there's further adjustments over the summer, but green / yellow / red country announcement doesn't make me confident things will change anytime sooner. It seems like vaccine exemptions will be the most likely path to easier entry at some point.

Just to provide clarity the negative covid test needs to be taken within 3 days prior to departure to the UK, not 72 hours.

Sorry to be pedantic but there is a significant difference because your flight time is a factor with 72 hours whereas with 3 days it is not. Just in case anybody reads this.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 13 July 2021 at 7:35PM

My friend just got to the UK from NY.

And the relevance of any of that on someone flying from the UK to somewhere else via the USA?

As has already been clarified, in the USA you have to clear immigration on landing even if you are leaving immediately hence if you cannot use an ESTA you need a transit visa. The restrictions on people having been in the UK within 14 days of landing will still apply.

It may well be possible to return via the USA as the list of banned countries isnt long so say you'd been to Peru then you could come back via USA as long as you'd been away for 14 days or more.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback