Avarto

Options
I have seen a post on here before about being contacted by Avarato. Today we received an email asking us to contact them regarding a matter of concern. I Googled them and they look legitimate so I gave them a call. It is apparently to do with an outstanding to BT that was incurred between 1994 and 2010. It is for £20.44. I sked them for more details and they said that they would contact BT while I held. I smelt a rat and hung up. Has anybody else this experience?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,386 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 5 July 2021 at 5:22PM
    Options
    Have you ever given BT your email address?  I don't often give mine to companies I deal with.   And where did you get the phone number you dialled?  Hopefully not from the email they sent.

Personally I've never heard of Avarto but there's lots of companies I don't know.  But I do get a lot of call and occasionally emails regarding some service or product I might have had and how there's a great urgent need for me to do something.  When I ask how they got my phone number they are always very vague which is when I know it's a scam.  

If Avarto are legit they will contact you again via email with the details you requested.  Alternatively you could try contacting BT to see if they know of any outstanding debt you had with them and what they might have done about it.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If it's a debt from 2010 it will almost certainly be statute barred now anyway
  • Barry_Bear
    Barry_Bear Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounds suspicious. Could be a fraud which relies on people paying up small amounts without too much thought.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,974 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They are a player in the debt collection business -

Debt Collection | Arvato Financial Solutions

Don`t engage with them on the phone, if they should bother writing to you over £20, write back informing them the debt is statute barred as they well know, and that`s the end of the matter.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Sambabooth
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I have contacted BT about the debt but they said that as the debt has been passed on to another company it is no longer a concern of theirs. Also Arvato have still been unable provide details of what the debt was for. I have received a letter today confirming their demands for payment of £20.44. The only information that they can give is that it is in regards to BT.
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 559 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As mentioned, the debt will be statute barred by now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback