We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Ladybird larvae

neilmcl
neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Has anyone introduced so-called beneficial ladybird larvae into their garden. I tend to get loads of aphids attacking my Eucalyptus and recently noticed my prized Pieris is infested by what could be pieris lacebug.

This is the sort of thing I'm considering - https://www.greengardener.co.uk/product/ladybird-larvae-with-release-bags/

Comments

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,510 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    It's a nice idea but if it's an open garden they may travel out and about and your money could go walkabout. They don't understand fences.
    It;s an especially bad year for aphids. How big are your plants?

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ladybird larvae  won't move very far from where you place them, especially if there's plenty of food to keep them busy. 
  • quirkydeptless
    quirkydeptless Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 July 2021 at 6:02AM
    I have a cherry tree that the blackfly feed on en masse, so I did put some paid for ladybird mercenaries out in the garden last year and an insect hotel for them to hibernate in.
    I thought afterwards it was a bad idea, as I expect they just flew off :) Better to use the larvae in an open garden. Quite amazing to watch them bulldoze their way though the poor little plant sucking critters.
    However this year I'm seeing a lot of Ladybird larvae fixed to leaves in the transformation stage at the moment, so I don't know if it was due the extra lot I unleashed, or if it is a good year for ladybirds.
    Retired 1st July 2021.
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ladybird larvae are amazing creatures - but they don't look cute and some get killed by gardeners, thinking they are pests rather than friends.
    www.gardenersworld.com/plants/garden-wildlife-identifier-ladybird-larvae/

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure