Ulster Bank got % period end wrong

Options
Just a little warning to Ulster Bank customers: check your statements carefully. I received my statement this morning, expecting it to be zero. (I have already written to close my account). I was surprised to find that I had been charged a small amount of interest. For a fleeting moment I considered paying it but then double-checked the terms and conditions of my CCA, which, as I expected, stated 0% "for 6 months from date the account opened". I had paid the balance in full on 9th Nov. Checking my paperwork, I found that Ulster Bank didn't even send me the application form until 8th May! (The date of their letter, which I received a couple of days later). I actually signed and returned the application form on 14th May.

I spoke to a Customer Services Agent (noted her name) who confirmed that "the 0% period expired on 7th Nov". I pointed out that they hadn't sent me the application form until 8th May 2007, so it was physically impossible for the account to have been open on 8th May (6 months before 7th Nov). She said that maybe I applied over the internet? I replied that I had applied via the post, as it wasn't possible back then to apply for their cards over the internet :rolleyes: My patience was wearing thin by this point, especially as the call was costing me 8p/min but she did agree eventually that there was an error and to refund the interest.

A small victory, but I expect that they hope that most people will just pay up.
They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato

Comments

• Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unverified freephone number from 'Saynoto0870':

0800 001008

Verifed Geograpghical number from above:

028 90374000

(Shouldn't be getting charged anything per minute just to call them over this)
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Milarky, I did try that 0800 number but it was engaged the first three times so I gave up and resorted to the 0870 (which strangely enough was answered and put me in a queue grrrr).
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport