suggestions for smart ev charger.

Options
Heedtheadvice
Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,460 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 6 July 2021 at 9:49AM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
I have had a quick look in threads but have not seen much info so can anybody point me in the right direction (mse or otherwise) for good information as to what is available on the market for smart ev charging?

I am aware of a few systems but could do with info on pros and cons of systems that will work autonomously at home to give a good eco charge utilising (as the priority) solar excess (otherwise exported).

Have around 1000kWh export per annum (obviously seasonal) and a plug-in hybrid (9kWh battery capable of 3.5 kW charging rate).

Had one quote for a Zappi but even with grants (2) still seems expensive (will be getting more quotes!) but perhaps I should be considering other chargers too?

Some say they are 'smart' but wonder if they are as good as the limited sales info says!

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You could look at the Zappi from myenergi.com.  Designed by the folk who designed the immerSUN diverter and works together with their version of that, the Eddi, so you can max out on hot water heating and EV charging with two devices that talk to each other.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Options
    Thanks Pinnks for the response.
    The Zapppi is certainly on my list to consider.

I have so far not found any others that seem to be capable of utilising any xs to divert to an EV. Perhaps am am missing something or that there are not any others that have that smart functionality!

I did expect a greater number of responses given the great help and experience of solar systems and interest in EVs on this forum but perhaps it is the lack of alternative solutions available rather than lack of knowledge, experience or willingness of forum members in this instance.

Very surprised there is only one charger system smart enough!!
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There is the eo mini pro v2,  it does solar diversion, but imo the zappi is still king
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • thevilla
    thevilla Posts: 305 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Long delivery lead times on zappi at the moment : 8 weeks.  Website says 5 but that's optimistic. 
    4.7kwp PV split equally N and S 20° 2016.
    Givenergy AIO.
    Nissan Leaf (2021 Tekna e+).  Seat Mii electric (2021).
    1.2kw Ripple Kirk Hill. 0.6kw Derril Water.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Options
    Looks like it will have to be the more expensive Zappi then.....if and when available!!
  • Petriix
    Petriix Posts: 2,050 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of people just use the granny charger and plug it in manually on sunny days. Some people have rigged up their own smart controls to turn charging on and off depending on export levels. I have a Zappi from a time when grants were higher and the regs were less demanding so I only paid £300. I'm not sure you'll ever recoup the current price.

Ohme don't apparently do solar diversion yet, but it's supposed to be in the pipeline. Through Octopus you can get a 32a Ohme commando to type 2 cable for £199. You should be able to get a local electrician to install a 32a commando socket for < £150, although it would arguably be prudent to add an earth rod and an RCD. That's just about the most affordable way of installing an EVSE right now.
  • EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    If your in Scotland, there's an additional grant up to £400 available over and above the OLEV grant ..... 

https://olevgrant.com/olev-grants-scotland/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwub-HBhCyARIsAPctr7wiyCOc4CeXqVphNWmBuuvxAXYLTSMmt18572InGPmGQ32lb0kUegMaArEaEALw_wcB
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • Heedtheadvice
    Options
    Thanks all for the posts and help.

As an update.....

Decided on a Zappi. Firstly like it's automation and itcan cope with optimisation for solar gen and battery storage (the latter is a distinct furure possibility). Secondly like it's safety feature where there to be (a probably unlikely) Neutral fault (am on a PME system and it is adviseable for a connected EV  or PHEV)- it does not need an earth rod and it would not be easy to install one at my home due to the rock (I have experience in this!).

Do not like the price.

Grants available uk wide are the OZEV grant £350 and and in Scotland the EST grant. The latter now is £250 or  for the few people in very remote from large town areas (Scottish gov rural area 8 -mainly parts of highlands and islands) a further uplift in grant of £100. The £400 one is now history. For the grant a smart charger is required (amongst other things) the Zappi meets that. Some other chargers do too but they are (as far as I know) only smart because of app control functions rather than automation.

I am fortunate my installer has a contact with a supplier so the currently eight+ week supply time scale for a Zappi does not apply. Installation is taking place in six days time, is local electrician meeting OZEV and EST approval who I have used before and is first class.

I would not argue that it will be the most economic install but meets my need. Total including grants heading for £700 so payback times is ....ages! But very convenient compared to the granny cable option.
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried jorro?
    My quote is closer to £500
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • Heedtheadvice
    Options
    Hi, Solarchaser.
    No I did not try Jorro...too late now for me. If that is including vat then I wonder how the install can be done for that price.
    I would wonder if they would add travel time to your quote for me. Something like 4 hours total would probably bring it closer to my quote if it were to be charged.

Did look at installers within a reasonable radius (on grant websites), not many at all close to me and I prefer both a known and local installer but for those in more urban areas there is obviously much more competition and choice so others should really take note of your post.

Can you give approx itemization of the quote....again too late for me but other readers might benefit from the info.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback