Key Worker Living Home Buy Equity Loan 2004

Options
Hi 
I borrowed £35,000 from Tower Homes in 2005 to purchase a key worker home for £230,000.  The property had a lease of 65 years. The loan amount represented 17% of the value. 

6 years later, my home is now worth much more but the lease has dropped to 49 years. 

L & Q, who took over the loans from Tower Homes (without telling any of us) are saying that the loan repayable when I sell and would be based on the estimated value of the property if it had a full lease.  .  Can they do this given that they bought into a property that already had a short lease?   Can they reasonable take 17% of the value, which is equivalent to an APR of 17%.   With the current lease my house is worth about £500k and with a full lease it would be worth about £600k.   If my calculations are correct, the increase in value from £230k to £500k is about 12% APR - happy to be corrected by anyone who can actually work these things out!   I am happy to sell at a price that reflects a short lease, by the way.   Is anyone else in the same boat with their Key Worker loan?  Finally, I thought we were told at the time that the loan was portable from one house to another, so long as you stayed a key worker.   I don't have the paperwork anymore and L & Q are saying the loan is not portable. 
Thanks

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Better off asking on the mortgage board, further down the forum.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback