Scammed - can my bank help?

In mid-March of this year, I fell victim to a scam investment site. Exactly the scenario on Good Morning Britain this morning (30 June 2021) with Martin Lewis. At the end of the interview with a teacher scammed out of £120,000 it was stated the bank helped her get half the money back.
I have been silent about my loss of cash due to a scam, simply because I am so ashamed of my stupidity. 
My question, is it too late to ask the bank for help since it was more than three months ago?  I just want to ask before I head to the bank so I can brace myself!
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Speak to them please..the worst they can do is say no.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If this is a Warning who are they ??
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    In mid-March of this year, I fell victim to a scam investment site. Exactly the scenario on Good Morning Britain this morning (30 June 2021) with Martin Lewis. At the end of the interview with a teacher scammed out of £120,000 it was stated the bank helped her get half the money back.
    I have been silent about my loss of cash due to a scam, simply because I am so ashamed of my stupidity. 
    My question, is it too late to ask the bank for help since it was more than three months ago?  I just want to ask before I head to the bank so I can brace myself!
    Thanks in advance.
    It would have been better if you had spoken to the bank as soon as possible but I don't think you have missed any deadlines.

Your bank might bear some responsibility (and so have to compensate you, at least to some extent) if they failed in some way e.g. if they should have recognised something was suspicious, e.g. if you made a very large payment or serious of payments to a new payee, and didn't warn you of the possible fraud risks then they might need to provide some compensation. 

You could read the following to get an understanding of how the Financial Ombudsman Service consider complaints against banks from customers who have been victims of scams.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/complaints-can-help/fraud-scams

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-to-do-if-you-re-the-victim-of-a-bank-transfer-app-scam-aED6A0l529rc

• JJ_Egan said:
    If this is a Warning who are they ??
    Trade 360
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family