Insurance Broker - Worth it?

Hi guys and girls, first post on the forum as I am just looking for a second opinion on the matter(s) at hand. 

Me and a business partner have come into an investment opportunity in the form of a restaurant/takeaway as well as a 2 bedroom flat. The property is currently vacant and has a flat on top of the property which we are looking to renovate and rent out, but we are looking to rent/lease out the takeaway space as the area we're in is quite popular and is in our minds, prime for growth.

Question 1 is regarding insurance, as I am unsure of what type of insurance will cover both the domestic and commercial side of things? I know a little bit about the commercial side of things due to work, however, I'm not sure if there is a specific policy that can cover the entire building in terms of building insurance? 

Question 2 is whether or not using an insurance broker would be suitable for this sort of thing or whether or not it would be better to go with an insurer direct? I think having a "middle man" as it were could take some leg work out of trying to find a suitable policy but I'm not sure on how they work etc. I've taken a look at a few companies which seem like they can help in terms of finding a policy that's right for me but I'm just not sure and would love a second opinion if anyone has used a broker before. 

If anyone has any prior experience and has any advice on the above, please let me know! 

Thank you and appreciate your time! 
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools