Money Moral Dilemma: I got paid to eat lunch, but should I own up?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 29 June 2021 at 1:50PM in Going out deals
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I bought two sandwiches for £7.50 in total in my local cafe and paid by contactless. It all seemed to go through fine, but when I checked my account the cafe had actually refunded me £7.50 - meaning they're essentially now £15 down. I was going to go in and explain what happened as I don't want a small business to lose money, but I also don't want the young assistant who was struggling with the lunchtime rush to get into trouble - should I just leave it?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B  If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
  Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• Dozers_Princess
    Options
    It’s likely they’ll already have noticed the till being down, so I wouldn’t let this deter you from returning the money. 
    However if you don’t want to explain what happened you could leave an anonymous tip for the £15!
  • laurawh87
    Options
    I'd just go in and make up and excuse like your card was having trouble and say it happened in another shop. No one gets in to trouble crossfingers and you've paid
  • _nate
    _nate Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They probably won't notice, almost definitely have better things to do, and if you tell them, you surely increase the risk of the staff getting into trouble.
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're worried about the young assistant getting in trouble it would be kind of you to let them know. Call or if they have an FB page perhaps send a message. Obviously places vary but it's entirely possible they noticed the till being down at the end of the day and eyebrows might be raised. Far better the assistant gets a refresher on the till incase it happens again.
  • denem
    denem Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Everyone can make a mistake. Go back and give them their money, after all you have eaten their sandwich. Try and speak to the assistant who served you and explain what happened. 
    If nothing else happens, at least you will not have it on your conscience for not having reported it. Honesty is paramount.
  • LMCJ
    LMCJ Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes 100%. This is a local eatery that you should want to support. In light of what the hospitality industry has gone through over the last year, I think its really important that you go back and offer to pay up. 
  • WolverineSW11
    Options
    Mmmm, if the 'sandwich shop' is one of those that avoid paying UK tax, then do nothing ( they avoid paying 10's of thousands of pounds in tax, so £15 is 'nothing' to them), if on the other hand it was a one man band place that really does need to survive, then go back and ask to speak with the shop manager and explain the situation. You may get a free drink (that will save them money and gain you your loyalty to their place) for being honest.

As a certain game show host used to say 'The choice is yours' .

This is one of the first conundrums on here that has warranted me responding.
  • Hadenoughofitall
    Options
    Anyone charging £7.50 for a couple of sandwiches deserves to be turned over.
  • joanne_w
    joanne_w Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I would go back to the café and see if you can speak to the same assistant who served you. That mistake could’ve been made quite a few times and it might help him/her to realise the mistake before they get fired. Also you will have a clear conscience afterwards. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback