IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking ticket for 59 seconds

I have just received a parking ticket from parking eye due to the fact that I parked 59 seconds over allocated time. The car park stated the first 30 minutes were free and no ticket was needed so not obtained. 
The letter states I arrived at 11:06:44 and left at 11:37:43 which is 30 mins and 59 seconds. 
Do I have the right to appeal this? 

Comments

• D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,503 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I think that they would struggle in court.   The law does not deal with trivial matters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_minimis

Does not the PCN say that you can appeal?  

Recad the newbies, read this and complain to your MP

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/2014/03/waiting-for-space-is-not-parking.html

You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 June 2021 at 11:25AM
    I have just received a parking ticket from parking eye due to the fact that I parked 59 seconds over allocated time. The car park stated the first 30 minutes were free and no ticket was needed so not obtained. 
    The letter states I arrived at 11:06:44 and left at 11:37:43 which is 30 mins and 59 seconds. 
    Do I have the right to appeal this? 
    Yes, definitely. Start the process by reading the NEWBIES FAQ Announcement, first post, where you will find (in blue text) an initial appeal template to use. 

Just a few questions so we have all the information available to us to carry on advising:

1. Date of parking event?
    2. Date of Issue shown on the first letter you received from ParkingEye?
    3. Does the letter (usually on the reverse side) have a paragraph headed Protection of Freedoms Act 2012?
    4. Do you have photos of the signage on the site, particularly one (or more) where ParkingEye reference the free 30 minutes?  If you do, please upload them here for us to view, if not, you really should get some taken as the signage is the purported contract that PE will rely on should this progress further - POPLA or the small claims court. 
    5. Have you complained to the retailer/landowner, asking them to intervene, as a charge, demanding £100 for a mere 59 seconds overstay, is simply ridiculous?  This is the fastest way to get the charge cancelled. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 June 2021 at 2:56AM
    And:

- was this in Scotland, or not?

- do you have dashcam footage that shows a different timing?

- or do you have Google location enabled on your phone? 

ANPR times are unreliable because the in and out cameras are not synchronised and have been shown to differ by a few minutes in some cases and people have provided evidence from Dashcams and/or mobile phone Google location data that proved the allegations as false.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback