tv lg50pz550t slows internet

erb
erb Posts: 547
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
We recentley moved house and now find that when I switch the tv on it slows the internet speed down to nearly zero. If I switch the tv off then the internet speed is restored to normal. If I leave the tv on the internet speed does eventually recover but this can take from 10 minutes to an hour. Anybody had experience of this or knows what is going on please? I have tried ethernet as well as wifi and same problem. I have tried router in master socket and extension socket and same problem. I am guessing it is some noise transmitted from the tv affecting the broadband signal but this did not happen in the old house so really confused.
Regards
erb :)

Comments

• erb
    Forumite
    Should have said the tv is not a smart tv so nothing to do with the tv trying to connect to the internet.
    Regards
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,108
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Where is TV in relation to BTOpenreach master socket, cabling, router-modem etc.,.?

Can you move TV further from any of that and get an improvement?

Can you try using a different ring main socket circuit (different mcb/fuse) for one or the other (temporarily using a long extension lead) to see if it makes a difference?

Tracing how the TV-generated interference is getting into the modem router will be key to effecting a solution.

Make and model of modem router may also be relevant for some on here?
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 28 June 2021 at 6:28PM

Plasma TV that is well into its autumn years;...rogue emf emissions that calm down when the TV warms up, perhaps? Plasmas more likely to interfere with Wi-Fi than the router itself but who knows,...it’s an odd one.

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,108
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 June 2021 at 7:11AM
    We need extra clues and info.

Dodgy phone line/extension cable (very loose twisted, or even untwisted pair?) could pick up any such interference into the modem if running nearby? ADSL filters could be worth replacing, too if spares are to hand?
  • pbartlett
    pbartlett Posts: 1,397
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 29 June 2021 at 7:28AM
    Move the TV to a totally different position eg upstairs, switch on and see if it still interferes. In fact, move it from room to room trying-  just to see if there is a pattern.

Also check your neighbours are not having problems when your TV is on!

Internet: Old TV caused village broadband outages for 18 months - BBC News
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    reboot the router.
  • erb
    Forumite
    Thanks for your suggestions. TV is in same room as BT master socket but on the opposite side and the router has been in both this room and upstairs but makes no difference. Tried using a different ring main but still same problem. The router was provided by Plusnet. Remember though I said this has only started happening since we moved house so tv and router caused no problem in the old house. Regarding the phone extension I tried unplugging the phone from the extension but it made no difference. I tried some different filters but still no difference. I will try moving the tv to different rooms later.
    Regards
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Similar problem i had was power supply and in fact the 4 way connection socket .
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

OP,

Everything points to your geriatric Plasma TV being the cause of the problem. Although you didn’t have the problem at your previous abode perhaps your recent move has disturbed something inside the TV,...elderly electronic circuitry often doesn’t  react well to being shunted around. There's a lot going on inside a Plasma TV.

Another possibility is Poltergeist activity.

• erb
    Forumite
    It certainly looks like its the TV but what a shame when it works perfectly otherwise and what a waste to throw it away and buy a new one when there is no guarantee that the problem will not arise with a new one.
    Regards
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport