Disability and EV's

Options

As a disabled driver with mobility problems – I am concerned about the lack of official assistance at “filling stations”

I am unable to walk and would struggle to even plug in a cable and what do I do for the hour + that the charging takes ?

Sit in the car ?

I do get assistance from a forecourt attendant  at my local filling station now to fill my car and take payment – but will the same be true for a cable at all stations ?

It doesn't look as if EV's are a viable option for  many disabled drivers

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You're very lucky to have found a filling station that will help you refuel a car.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    AdrianC said:
    You're very lucky to have found a filling station that will help you refuel a car.

I normally use  https://fuelservice.org/en/ - which means that I have to plan any journeys

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

As a disabled driver with mobility problems – I am concerned about the lack of official assistance at “filling stations”

I am unable to walk and would struggle to even plug in a cable and what do I do for the hour + that the charging takes ?

Sit in the car ?

I do get assistance from a forecourt attendant  at my local filling station now to fill my car and take payment – but will the same be true for a cable at all stations ?

It doesn't look as if EV's are a viable option for  many disabled drivers

Most charging points are standalone. So you will never find anyone to help. What would you do at home? Which is where most people charge.

As to what you do while charging is going on, the same as anyone else would. Many people just sit in the car, listen to radio, watch a film or sleep.

Do not take this the wrong way.
    If you can not walk how do you get to the car? Wheelchair? If so then you can manage to fit the cable, just the same as you would fill a car with petrol.
    Life in the slow lane
  • BOWFER
    BOWFER Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    On the bright side if the charger is in a car park that has fees, many forego the parking fees if you sit in the car whilst charging.
    Fees only becomes applicable if you leave the car.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you can charge from home, then you should only ever need to charge at a public charging point on long journey, where you would have a similar problem filling up with petrol. In both cases I am sure your fellow motorists would come to your aid if asked. If you are on a long journey then you really should be taking a break so the time to charge is an ideal time to take that break.

I think EVs will make ideal cars for many disabled drivers. They are easy to drive and most come with a bunch assisted driving features. They should be easy to adapt for specific disabilities too

• YBR
    YBR Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    On a rapid charger, many electric cars charge from empty to 80% in 30 mins, and you won't be on empty! So unlikely to have hours sitting around.
    I have discussed this with a friend with MS, and yes it would be hard for her as it would be for you. She can currently walk short distances and feels she could manage at home by leaning on the car and her house. At service stations it would be harder.

I love my electric car, but they're not the best solution for everyone.
  • BOWFER
    edited 28 June 2021 at 2:18PM
    Options
    YBR said:
    On a rapid charger, many electric cars charge from empty to 80% in 30 mins, and you won't be on empty! So unlikely to have hours sitting around.
    I have discussed this with a friend with MS, and yes it would be hard for her as it would be for you. She can currently walk short distances and feels she could manage at home by leaning on the car and her house. At service stations it would be harder.

I love my electric car, but they're not the best solution for everyone.
    How does she cope with an ICE car?
    Pay at the pump doesn't seem very reliable (if the garage even has it) and attended pumps are very rare, so she must have to walk into the petrol station regularly?
    And does she struggle to actually squeeze the handle 'on' at a pump?
    Walking to the end of an EV and back to plug it in is about as good as it gets for anyone, surely?
  • BOWFER
    Options
    In a broader sense, wireless inductive charging isn't that far away for EVs.
    So literally parking over a charging pad fitted into the drive.
  • DB1904
    DB1904 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    BOWFER said:
    On the bright side if the charger is in a car park that has fees, many forego the parking fees if you sit in the car whilst charging.
    Is that something you've just made up?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DB1904 said:
    BOWFER said:
    Is that something you've just made up?

It's perfectly possible.  But it would require a modification to the car, a wireless charging point in every parking bay, and it's less efficient than plugging a cable in.

Like wireless charging of phones, but at a much higher power.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback