Universal credit and earnings.

Options
Hi there 
am hoping someone can offer some advice.
through the pandemic we have had to claim UC.
This pay period, and the one before we have got next to nothing as they are saying my partner cleared almost £1800 a month. 
In reality it was just under £1100.
his pay slips are correct and I’ve checked his HMRC account and it ties in what what he earned and his payslip.
where are UC getting this additional almost £700 from? 
I’ve sent numerous messages but no response.
Just to clarify - His HMRC account and his payslip are the same - it’s just what UC have got which is incorrect.

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,425 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    LadyG1210 said:
    Hi there 
    am hoping someone can offer some advice.
    through the pandemic we have had to claim UC.
    This pay period, and the one before we have got next to nothing as they are saying my partner cleared almost £1800 a month. 
    In reality it was just under £1100.
    his pay slips are correct and I’ve checked his HMRC account and it ties in what what he earned and his payslip.
    where are UC getting this additional almost £700 from? 
    I’ve sent numerous messages but no response.
    Just to clarify - His HMRC account and his payslip are the same - it’s just what UC have got which is incorrect.
    Is his take-home pay everything after NI and tax?  I think pension contributions should be ignored by UC as well.  Is there any sort of salary sacrifice or anything at all being paid out of wages before he receives the money?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a student loan deduction? That would be added back for UC purposes.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Options
    Expanding on the answers above, tax, NI and pension contributions will be deducted from his gross pay. This will be the amount that is used for UC purposes. All other deductions such as student loans are ignored. Are there any other deductions on his payslip?
    If not, and you are sure it is incorrect, you should ask on your journal for an explanation and UC will be able to tell you if there are earnings from a second employer, for example, that are showing up. Does he have any other jobs?
  • Numberwang_2
    Options
    Is he paid weekly, monthly or other resulting in extra payments/income within the payment period. Can you ask via your journal to self declare your income for the period.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback