Gear jamming and won't move

Options
twopenny
twopenny Posts: 5,566 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
Always car things happen on a Friday!
My old 2000 Fiesta which has only done 58,000 miles has decided to jam in reverse at the end of the manouver and the gear stick won't move out. It's happened about 3 times over this year, each when I'm really close and tight to something behind me.
I found that if I stall the car it will then disengage and behave normally.
This is a little scarey when you're near a gate/car/wall as it makes the car jerk.
Today I had to do this twice. Second time was squeezed in a gateway with another car tight behind letting a bus pass. I stalled sucessfully apart from the sweatting brow about the car behind, but this time it wouldn't go into first gear either once I'd started the engine again so I couldn't move away. Obvs I did eventually but was so anxious can't remember the details.
Living in a rural area with a multitude of town drivers visiting I need to be able to be the one to do avoiding action so very worried this may happen while driving or at a busy junction
Does anyone know it this is a major problem, what the cause may be or what I can do about it?
I made sure it wasn't the car mat under the clutch pedal or anything else.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most likely the clutch master cylinder.
    All that is between the pedal and the piston inside is a flimsy plastic link, which wears out in no time and causes problems with reverse, and sometimes even breaks in two, leaving you stranded.

You can change it yourself, or get a garage to do it, the part is about £50, and a couple of hours maximum to fit.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • GeordieGeorge
    Options
    What’s likely happening is that the clutch is not disengaging fully, so it’s dragging a bit and won’t let the gears disengage.

I’m not familiar with the model, but the advice above seems sound, so I’d start there.

Until you do, it’s possible to start the engine with the car in gear even if the clutch does drag a bit, so if you find yourself unable to engage or disengage a gear, stop the engine, put it into the gear that you want, and then start the car, using a bit of throttle if needed.

It’s far from ideal, but much better than sitting stuck in the middle of a junction.
  • twopenny
    edited 25 June 2021 at 8:20PM
    Options
    Well that's a relief if it's so.
    It's a car I bought to find a car (as all bus, toilets etc have been closed down) and this had done only 50 miles with service every year. But the soft parts ie rubber, had disintegrated and had to have them replaced.
    I had a new clutch fitted may 2019 so I find this exasperating. Garage invoice says 'Fit new clutch/clutch kit/gear box fluid' not cheap. I suspect they just fixed the old bits to it without checking.
    I tried searching the net but it doesn't really help. I saw something about links but it meant nothing to me. That video really explained it well. Thanks. Seems very likely from the experience I've had.
    I'll get it in to a trusted place asap though they are busy so who knows.
     It was a bargain car in excellent visible condition, mileage and servicing. Just thrown up some cost due to ageing of parts. Not much second hand to get another in rural parts due to covid.
    Crossed posts :) thanks George. It wouldn't go in at all even when stopped which was unusual and why I posted. I had a look and even without the mat there's quite a clear space around where the pedal goes into the ......whatever it is so there's nothing else jamming.
    Just a bit lot of embarrassment as I could see the driver thinking not 'what's wrong' but 'stupid old woman' when I pride myself on my countryside driving.

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 June 2021 at 7:39AM
    Options
    The clutch kit will hopefully be everything inside the gearbox, which is good news, because if the master cylinder isn't the problem, then the gearbox would have to come off for investigation, and the next most likely culprit would be the slave cylinder, followed by the clutch itself.

They should have changed the slave cylinder when they did the clutch.

As George suggests, when you can't get it in gear, turn off the engine, select the gear and start it with your foot holding the clutch down.

No guarantee it is that master cylinder, but if you take it to a garage that has done a fair bit of work on fiestas they should be able to tell you if it is likely, and change it.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • twopenny
    edited 26 June 2021 at 11:25PM
    Options
    Not such good news but it does explain some things which is the reassuarance I needed.
    Better not be another gearbox! That would involve confrontation for a 2yr old job but I have faith in my current garage. Small but very busy for that reason.
    This model I had before and the reverse has always 'stuck' in both and doesn't always go in first time.
    It's not my driving honest!
    I'll stick to driving in town and keep my fingers crossed till Monday when they can give me a date.
    PS - just thought that in part it may be my driving! Each time I've had the problem it's been in a tricky reverse to get in a small space. Perhaps I'm doing something (or  not) while I'm concentrating on not going into a ditch. I say this because it's all fine reversing out of my drive/the supermarket/the beach/the town etc.

• lemondrops69
    lemondrops69 Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds like Bob Marleys car..............
  • Boffinman
    Boffinman Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like Bob Marleys car..............
    LOL I get that!   :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure