IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Smart Parking

Options
Got a letter from this company as I parked in a car park and didn’t pay and display.£60 fine
Are these enforceable?

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are these enforceable?
    Yes, but not easily, especially in Northern Ireland.

Your best best is to read the NEWBIES thread - one of the first five threads on the list where you found the New Thread button earlier.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 25 June 2021 at 11:56PM
    Options
    Is the OP in NI then?

If so, ignore it and complain to the retailers to cancel it and stop the pointless letters.

If you are in England or Wales you obviously win easily by doing what the NEWBIES thread tlls you to do.  No link given or needed.  Top of this forum, the Announcement in capital letters begging people to read it first (please).

Easy to beat.    No need for any threads about Smart.  All explained in the NEWBIES thread.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is the OP in NI then?
    Yes, the OP had two goes at posting this thread - once on the N.Ireland board, then on the Motoring board - before posting here.
  • D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,503 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It is not a fine, please read the newbies.  

Read also what Pete Wishart MP said recently in the House of commons about Smart Parking.

"I am sick and tired of receiving emails from people complaining about the behaviour of parking companies, telling me that they will never again visit Perth city centre because of the negative experience they had when they had the misfortune to end up in a car park operated by one of these companies. I have received more complaints about one car park in the city of Perth than about any other issue. That car park is operated by the lone ranger of the parking cowboys: the hated and appalling Smart Parking—I see that many other Members are unfortunate enough to have Smart Parking operating in their constituencies. It has reached the stage where one member of my staff now spends a good part of each day just helping my constituents and visitors to my constituency to navigate the appeals process.

The BPA does not have the ability to regulate these companies and has shown no sign whatsoever that it is trying to get on top of some of the sharper practices. The BPA gives a veneer of legitimacy to some of the more outlandish rogue operators by including them in their membership, allowing them to continue to operate. The Bill will oblige operators such as Smart Parking to amend their practices.

And complain to your own MP.

You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • moneytalks
    moneytalks Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Received a letter from Smart Parking stating “fine” has been cancelled 😀
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Excellent outcome!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories