New car dilemma

Options
hubb
hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 25 June 2021 at 1:56PM in Motoring
This is a tough one as I have a 19 year old Polo that has it's insurance run out on the 7th July, and possibly needs a new exhaust (intermittent knocking sound under car when travelling) Its a good car but I want to replace it this year before it's MOT is up in October as it has done 117K.

Looking for something like a used Hyundai i10 around 2013-15 year or similar car that has a good general rating as well as low tax , fuel economy. The trouble is the used car market (for some strange reason) has skyrocketed and I don't feel I will be getting a good deal anywhere presently. Do I dig in with the Polo another year (has has been a very good car to be fair) or do I bite the bullet and buy now before prices could shoot up even more / Also, is it better to sell the Polo part-ex or private, given it is only worth around £250-300 at the most ? We buy any car require at least 6 months MOT which counts me out.

I am based in Cheshire and willing to pay up to about £4500

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,627 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 June 2021 at 3:27PM
    Options
    Mileage is irrelevant so get the exhaust fixed first and keep the car for another year. There is no reason to change a car just because it has hit some specific mileage.

For that sort of price bracket selling privately is likely to be a better option if the car is in good condition but selling with exhaust problem will knock price down (probably by more than the cost of fixing)
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jimjames said:
    Mileage is irrelevant so get the exhaust fixed first and keep the car for another year. There is no reason to change a car just because it has hit some specific mileage.

For that sort of price bracket selling privately is likely to be a better option if the car is in good condition but selling with exhaust problem will knock price down (probably by more than the cost of fixing)
    I think you are right, why get rid of a perfectly good car, despite it's age. in fact, a guy at a local garage berated the newer models of VW and said they are rubbish compared to the likes of the older models like mine.
  • Steve182
    Steve182 Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    117k is very low mileage for a 19yo car

The main consideration should not be the mileage, but whether it's becoming uneconomic to maintain or whether you just want something newer or better. Sounds like neither of these are an issue so maybe just keep it a bit longer?.

“Like a bunch of cod fishermen after all the cod’s been overfished, they don’t catch a lot of cod, but they keep on fishing in the same waters. That’s what’s happened to all these value investors. Maybe they should move to where the fish are.”   Charlie Munger, vice chairman, Berkshire Hathaway
  • Flight3287462
    Flight3287462 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Car prices are crazy at the moment, think I would hang fire for the time being and keep your current car until (hopefully) some normality returns.
  • Ibrahim5
    Ibrahim5 Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to define what the problem is. It's silly to bin a good car if it needs a £3 rubber exhaust mounting. Kwik fit used to give them away. Our local independent garage will look at your car and not charge you if they don't do anything. If they say you need a new clutch or gearbox it might be different.
  • jeradon
    jeradon Posts: 89 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would keep the car. Besides, fixing the exhaust won't cost too much.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback