Breakdown cover for a Van AutoAid - opinion sought

Options
JamesCoffeeKirk
JamesCoffeeKirk Posts: 12 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 24 June 2021 at 8:01AM in Motoring
Hi
A simple thing like breakdown cover for peace of mind is wanted..
For best economy I am hoping to find personal based cover for my two privately owned vehicles - a car for family use and a small, car-derived van for occasional work use.
[jump to SHORTCUT if I'm rambling too much here :) ]
I'm self-employed on a humble income at the moment, mostly work from home (95%) but sometimes travel long distance in my van carrying tools to customer sites to chase the work, so my thought is that if breakdown assistance is ever required my worst-case scenario is likely to be in the van stranded far from home.
I'm not particularly keen on taking out 'business' van type insurance (if I don't have to) since it will be more expensive, being aimed at regular van users who use their vehicles for work every day and I assume at greater risk of breakdown - particularly if I also then need two pay for two separate policies!

[SHORTCUT]

Saw MSE's recommendation for AutoAid and started the online application to eventually come across:
"As this is personal breakdown cover, you are covered for any eligible vehicle*.

*UK vehicles only. Private cars and motorcycles over 150cc. Vans, pick-ups and motorised caravans will only be covered if they do not exceed 3.5tonnes gross vehicle weight. Excluded vehicles are minibuses, vehicles used as taxis for private or public hire or vans used for business use. "

Rang AutoAid, informed them my van is privately owned but use it for occasional business use, carrying tools etc and was told without any hesitation I could have cover as it was privately owned. 

Being wary of the term "business use" I looked through any policy docs I could find on their website but no mention anywhere. Rang AutoAid again to double-check (was the first rep mistaken?). A different rep of course, but he also seemed pretty casual about it and assured me it would be okay, but couldn't refer to any documentation. So I asked if they could confirm in writing via email. Somewhat surprisingly I received an email (well done Autoaid) which states:

"Good Afternoon,

This is to confirm that the autoaid policy will cover your van, even if the van is for business use.

Regards
AutoAid"

No individual's name given but comes from their email address and with AutoAid branded template signature.

What do you think? Should this email suffice as re-assurance that my van will be covered adequately? - I would be grateful for opinions, particularly from anyone with experience in similar circumstances.. if I proceed I intend to provide the particulars of my van ["Although AutoAid Breakdown is personal cover, we do require details of your main vehicle"] rather than my car.

Comments

• Hi I've just got breakdown cover from R.A.C for my van £8.25 per month to pay for 12 months then another 3 months free after so 15 months for £99 for 15 months if paying monthly or £90 paid yearly for 15 months this is personal cover so i'm covered in any vehicle under 3500 ladened weight and no age limit on the vehicle. no excess included home start, roadside,any destination, unlimited call out, immediate start first 24 hours only 10 miles after national. (If you divide the £99 by the whole 15 months its £6.60)BUT OBVIOUSLY YOU CAN ONLY DO IT AS ABOVE.   
    i saw one 2gether advertised £32.25 per year but after all charges added it came to 89.41 and restrictions of no older than 15 yrs + onward excess £30 but was £7.45 month found on compare the market, to start after 46 hours this has the same as above + accident recovery.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi I've just got breakdown cover from R.A.C for my van £8.25 per month to pay for 12 months then another 3 months free after so 15 months for £99 for 15 months if paying monthly or £90 paid yearly for 15 months this is personal cover so i'm covered in any vehicle under 3500 ladened weight and no age limit on the vehicle. no excess included home start, roadside,any destination, unlimited call out, immediate start first 24 hours only 10 miles after national. (If you divide the £99 by the whole 15 months its £6.60)BUT OBVIOUSLY YOU CAN ONLY DO IT AS ABOVE.   

But RAC personal cover excludes business use, so it's no good for the OP' purpose.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try Driver Guardian - van cover up to 3.5 tonne
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business