Slight power loss 3rd / 4th gear?

Options
Flatulentoldgoat
Flatulentoldgoat Posts: 304 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 23 June 2021 at 8:59PM in Motoring
On my Nissan Note (2011) which I've had since '17 I've always found the 3rd to 4th change sluggish. Car drives OK otherwise, it's been ace if I'm honest in terms of reliability. I'm just not sure why there's like a turbo lag from 3rd to 4th. Best way to describe it is when I change into any other gear power is pretty much instantaneous. Whereas making this change there's a throttle delay, it's brief but I put up with it. It's like a drop in revs (takes a moment despite pressing the gas for the revs to resume) I do not drive or care to drive like a speed demon any way.

I know the DMS and clutch was changed according to it's service history but the biting point seems good and there isn't any rattles or slippage.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Steve182
    Steve182 Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I suspect there a larger difference in gear ratio between 2-3 and 3-4 than there is between 1-2 and 2-3. Look at the rev counter to confirm.

“Like a bunch of cod fishermen after all the cod’s been overfished, they don’t catch a lot of cod, but they keep on fishing in the same waters. That’s what’s happened to all these value investors. Maybe they should move to where the fish are.”   Charlie Munger, vice chairman, Berkshire Hathaway
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    On my Nissan Note (2011) which I've had since '17 I've always found the 3rd to 4th change sluggish. Car drives OK otherwise, it's been ace if I'm honest in terms of reliability. I'm just not sure why there's like a turbo lag from 3rd to 4th. Best way to describe it is when I change into any other gear power is pretty much instantaneous. Whereas making this change there's a throttle delay, it's brief but I put up with it. It's like a drop in revs (takes a moment despite pressing the gas for the revs to resume)
    Yes, of course the revs drop when you change up. That's the whole point of a higher gear.

Do you know what turbo lag is?
    What engine's in your Note?
  • BOWFER
    BOWFER Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I suspect you're just changing up too early.
    If you're changing up at the point the revs in 3rd and 4th are falling below 2000rpm, the turbo will take time to spool up again and work.
    If you were to wait a bit when changing up, so that the revs in 3rd and 4th are higher when you go into them, the turbo would be spinning and everything would be fine,.

• Flatulentoldgoat
    Options
    AdrianC said:
    On my Nissan Note (2011) which I've had since '17 I've always found the 3rd to 4th change sluggish. Car drives OK otherwise, it's been ace if I'm honest in terms of reliability. I'm just not sure why there's like a turbo lag from 3rd to 4th. Best way to describe it is when I change into any other gear power is pretty much instantaneous. Whereas making this change there's a throttle delay, it's brief but I put up with it. It's like a drop in revs (takes a moment despite pressing the gas for the revs to resume)
    Yes, of course the revs drop when you change up. That's the whole point of a higher gear.

Do you know what turbo lag is?
    What engine's in your Note?

It's the 1.5 D (k9k) same as the Qashqai I believe. Curiously, my sister has the same engine in her Clio and I've driven that for years. I can almost change from 3rd to 4th in that without even noticing it when if I'm accelerating! If I try that in my car, (irrespective of revs 2000 normally) the power pulls back briefly, then it resumes accelerating. It's very odd.
  • BOWFER
    edited 24 June 2021 at 10:12AM
    Options

It's the 1.5 D (k9k) same as the Qashqai I believe. Curiously, my sister has the same engine in her Clio and I've driven that for years. I can almost change from 3rd to 4th in that without even noticing it when if I'm accelerating! If I try that in my car, (irrespective of revs 2000 normally) the power pulls back briefly, then it resumes accelerating. It's very odd.
    Have you ever had the EGR valve cleaned or replaced?
    They're bad for causing flat spots if they get gummed up.
    They're not expensive or hard to replace, I'd try slamming in a new one for £100.
  • Flatulentoldgoat
    Options
    BOWFER said:

They're not expensive or hard to replace, I'd try slamming in a new one for £100.

Interesting....I wonder is this is linked to code P0170 that I have been getting. I'll look into it. I'm pretty handy, if it's a simple hot swap I might be able to do this myself?
  • BOWFER
    edited 24 June 2021 at 10:59AM
    Options
    BOWFER said:

Interesting....I wonder is this is linked to code P0170 that I have been getting. I'll look into it. I'm pretty handy, if it's a simple hot swap I might be able to do this myself?
    P0170 is often linked to the MAF (Mass airflow sensor), I didn't know you were getting a fault.
    And it's perfectly feasible that could be giving you the flatspot you're noticing too.
    So I'd be looking to replace the MAF first, a very easy job.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Interesting....I wonder is this is linked to code P0170 that I have been getting.
    Whether it's EGR or not (I suspect not, given P0170 is fuel trim), the code and the hesitation are almost certainly related.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback