Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    zagfles said:
    Sandtree said:
    Just be aware that if you buy independent excess insurance that you will need to pay the excess first and then reclaim it from the insurer. There are two things to check:

1) What happens if the damage is below the value of the excess... better policies will cover this still but some won't as technically you've not paid the excess

Really? Any examples? Never heard of that.

As an easy to find example, appreciating that this is a Home Excess rather than Motorhome Excess policy, is https://www.bettersafe.com/home-excess-insurance 

Are there any exclusions?

• If the incident that gave rise to the claim under your Home Insurance Policy happened before the Start Date of Cover, as stated in Your Insurance Schedule
    • Where no Excess was paid by You or deducted from the claim settlement by the insurer of Your Home Insurance Policy
    • If Your claim under Your Home Insurance Policy was not successful or was for less than the amount of the Excess
    I have seen similar on other excess products including those related to rentals.
    Never seen that on a vehicle hire excess insurance, it would defeat the whole point of them. Most claims would be less than the excess.

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    zagfles said:
    Never seen that on a vehicle hire excess insurance, it would defeat the whole point of them. Most claims would be less than the excess. 
    Defeat the whole purpose or make a product thats cheaper so gets people buying it because they buy on price not quality?

The average excess, that I can remember, tends to be circa £1k... doesn't take much damage at hire car company rates to hit that value.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    zagfles said:
    Defeat the whole purpose or make a product thats cheaper so gets people buying it because they buy on price not quality?

The average excess, that I can remember, tends to be circa £1k... doesn't take much damage at hire car company rates to hit that value.
    Most is less than that. It's usually scratches etc. Car hire excess insurance that didn't cover you for £999 would be pointless. It's a bit different with home insurance as probably most claims would tend to use the full excess.
    I doubt you find any of the main vehicle hire excess insurers that wouldn't cover a claim under the excess.

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    zagfles said:
    Sandtree said:
    zagfles said:

Most is less than that. It's usually scratches etc. Car hire excess insurance that didn't cover you for £999 would be pointless. It's a bit different with home insurance as probably most claims would tend to use the full excess.
    I doubt you find any of the main vehicle hire excess insurers that wouldn't cover a claim under the excess.

There certainly used to be, back when I was involved in a business selling excess insurance (it wasn't them). Cannot say I've kept on top of each and every policy but I'd be surprised if someone didn't think it was a good way of introducing a budget policy with the general race to the bottom on consumer insurance. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback