Refunding Buyer

Hi
I haven't used Ebay for about a year but decided to get rid of some bits last week that I had laying about.
I had to sign up for their new payment method and am still waiting for the micro transactions to show up in my bank so it can be verified but listed some bits anyway.

I sold an item at the weekend for £45 but the buyer wants the order cancelled as he bought it in error, no problem I thought I would just cancel the order and relist.
I then got a message along the lines of

You've refunded £40 to the buyer for cancelling this order. We've notified them. We'll credit the variable portion of the final value fees to you?

What does this mean? Are they now £5 out of pocket until I get the fee back and then how do I send it to them if it gets paid into my bank?

I was also charged 30p to my credit card that I have on there for payments?

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 June 2021 at 2:19PM
    Ebay automatically take the fees from the sale before passing the remaining to you. So the £40 would be your money they would have given you and £5 was fees. So they have refunded the £40 they were due to give you for the sale and then added the £5 they took off in fees so the buyer got their full £45 back. Unfortunely they keep the 30p fee for processing the payment. So they have obviously charged it to the card as the money has gone back to the buyer. 
  • Ok thanks for that.
    As long as the buyer has got his money fully refunded then all good.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback