We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

One For The Bird Watchers

Options
greyteam1959
greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
We have been watching a male blackbird feeding a young thrush in our garden for the last few days.
I have never seen cross feeding like this before in all the years ( 50 ) I have been feeding birds.
Very odd behaviour.

Comments

• quirkydeptless
    quirkydeptless Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Possibly lost its own young, but the parenting instinct remains strong
    Retired 1st July 2021.
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
  • mad_spaniel
    mad_spaniel Posts: 220 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was sat in the garden , sunning myself the other day and watching the wildlife. I spotted a red admiral sunning itself too. Then a blackbird hopping along, feeding on grubs in the grass. Next minute the blackbird shot across the garden at high speed and pounced on the butterfly, gobbling it up greedily. A savage end to a beautiful scene.
  • 25_Years_On
    25_Years_On Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Young female blackbirds are not unlike thrushes (blackbirds being of the same family).

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-juvenile-blackbird-on-garden-lawn-hastings-sussex-uk-47962922.html

• madjackslam
    madjackslam Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The other day I saw a family of great tits on our feeders, when a young blue tit joined them. One of the adult great tits fed the blue tit. I'd never seen this before. The young blue tit did look particularly scruffy. 
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    What lovely info.
    It's not something I've seen but it does happen with wild cats and some other mamals according to the telly so why not birds.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport