Converting part of private property into shop and cafe

Hello, 

Just wondering if anyone knows whether this is possible. We have a building in the garden with electricity and running water, it would need some adapting but could potentially become a small shop selling essentials and local produce, and maybe a cafe with a play area. We live in a small village with one pub and no shop so think it would be great to open something like this but I have no real idea of what hoops we'll need to jump through first or even if this kind of thing is allowed. It's designated an area of natural beauty and is in the green belt. Thoughts/ advice appreciated!

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    A change of use requires planning permission so in the first instance talk to your local planning office.

Do you have a mortgage on the property? If so your lender is also likely to need to be involved.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,612 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Opening a cafe means you need to equip it to satisfy various health requirements. You may need to provide customer toilets. That will be on top of obtaining planning consent and building regulations.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Is it your plan to operate this as a true business, or as a social enterprise?
    Is there a demand in the small village for a shop - cafe?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Opening a cafe means you need to equip it to satisfy various health requirements. You may need to provide customer toilets. That will be on top of obtaining planning consent and building regulations.
    Customer toilets - I wouldn't these days dream of frequenting a cafe without them ....
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Sandtree
    Savvy_Sue said:
    I wouldn't these days dream of frequenting a cafe without them ....
    Getting to that stage of life?

I say that but there is a 2 mile walk here along the railway lines that has circa 30 breweries and tap rooms, whilst most are in clusters a few are a bit more isolated... I have before abandoned the route for concern that the next stop is a single place and it may not have a loo.

Its a preference if you've got room but one of our locals has a chipboard stall in the corner. Visually its totally private but the full bar can hear, and smell, whatever is going on in the loo.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Sandtree said:
    Savvy_Sue said:
    Getting to that stage of life?

I say that but there is a 2 mile walk here along the railway lines that has circa 30 breweries and tap rooms, whilst most are in clusters a few are a bit more isolated... I have before abandoned the route for concern that the next stop is a single place and it may not have a loo.
    :rotfl: I have been at that stage of life for some time ...

But I thought ALL licensed premises were required to provide toilet facilities? 

• Savvy_Sue
    Sandtree said:

Its a preference if you've got room but one of our locals has a chipboard stall in the corner. Visually its totally private but the full bar can hear, and smell, whatever is going on in the loo.
    I'd probably avoid that too - although have you heard about the Peequal?
  • Sandtree
    Savvy_Sue said:
    But I thought ALL licensed premises were required to provide toilet facilities? 
    That one really is outside of my area of knowledge... some of these places though are truly tiny, tanks of beer down one side, a tiny 1.5m bar and standing room for 8 people (more outside). Behind the bar there is more brewing/bottling etc equipment. 

Maybe there is a staff toilet that you can use behind the bar  or maybe there is a toilet and after the 10 stops beforehand I've just missed it somehow. One or two have had a portapotty outside. A quick google does show various councils saying they've adopted a certain standard and therefore require X toilets based on number of seated covers so not sure if the local council may not have adopted it or the fact there is no seating is a get out clause.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Well, a google for 'toilet requirements for licensed premises uk' has enlightened me, apparently yes if open after 11 pm or licensed to sell alcohol.

And for the OP: "Suitable disabled access toilets are required in all new cafes and restaurants to meet requirements under the Equality Act 2010."

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Sandtree said:
    Savvy_Sue said:

Longer than 2 miles presumably? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure