PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bio or non-biological washing machine liquid

Options
Joy123
Joy123 Posts: 31 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 19 June 2021 at 9:43PM in Old style MoneySaving
This probably seems a silly question, but I have never been sure whether to buy bio or non-biological liquid for the washing machine. What do people think? The last one I bought was from a Sainsburys home delivery, before we started going out to do shopping again; their own brand House 247 Bio Laundry Liquid. Our local Sainsburys does not stock all the things that we could have in a home delivery and only seems to stock Sainsburys non-biological. Does it really matter which is used?

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One wash in bio makes my skin itch. Two washes and it’s a rash.  Non bio works fine.

If you don’t have a problem with sensitive skin, just get whatever is cheapest.
  • Joy123
    Options
    bouicca21 said:
    One wash in bio makes my skin itch. Two washes and it’s a rash.  Non bio works fine.

If you don’t have a problem with sensitive skin, just get whatever is cheapest.
    Thank you.
  • Debran
    Debran Posts: 349 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2021 at 11:12AM
    Options
    Remember, don't shoot the messenger but "Which?" says that tests have found no evidence that biological powders/liquids cause skin problems when used for laundry.   I have a sensitive skin, e.g. can't use deodorants, have to wear gloves when using cleaning up detergents, can't use adhesive dressings etc but I have used biological powders/liquids probably for 30 years and have never had a reaction to them when used in a washing machine.
    Shall I duck now?
    The enzymes break down stains more effectively than non-bio.  However, you should not use them on leather, silk or any other organic fabric as, obviously, they'll break that down too.

There are eight best buys (all are bio) and of those, these are the ones with the hightest scores for powder and liquid:

Ariel All in 1 Pods with Oxi Stain Removers bio
    Morrisons bio powder
    Ariel powder - Sainsbury's bio powder
    Ariel liquid
    Aldi liquid

|22 June 2021
    Ooops - made an error.   Corrections in italics above.
    Which? says the high scorers are good at removing difficult stains like blood, grass, grease and mud.

For those who cannot use bio the highest scoring non-bio with 59% was:
    Lidl Formil non-bio caps
    (did not score highly enough to be a best buy)

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Debran said:

The enzymes break down stains more effectively than non-bio.  However, you should not use them on leather, silk or any other organic fabric as, obviously, they'll break that down too.

Add (washable) wool to that list - a notably shorter life with bio-powders/liquids. 

But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Debran said:
    Remember, don't shoot the messenger but "Which?" says that tests have found no evidence that biological powders/liquids cause skin problems when used for laundry.   I have a sensitive skin, e.g. can't use deodorants, have to wear gloves when using cleaning up detergents, can't use adhesive dressings etc but I have used biological powders/liquids probably for 30 years and have never had a reaction to them when used in a washing machine.
    I always tend to put in more powder than required, not even sure how much I should put in, I think that could be a reason why some itch.
    I generally use an old vending machine coffee cup, almost full.

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We use non bio, because we live in a very rural area and don’t have mains drainage.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use an eco egg which last ages !
    Bio tends to be good at whites as the enzymes usually have brightners,  and non bio is less likely to make colours/black fade.  
    Years ago my daughters legs swelled the Dr said it was the Per $il I was using at the time !! 
    If using powder you only need small amounts , recommended amounts are way over the top.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • herbily
    herbily Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    Bio is for stains of organic origin - it works better on things like tomato ketchup than non-bio. If your clothes aren't particularly stained or sweaty, then it makes no difference which you buy, and usually there's no difference in price.
  • Debran
    Debran Posts: 349 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2021 at 11:10AM
    Options
    Made an error in my post of 20 June.  Said Ariel powder was top scorer.  This should been Ariel capsules.  Apologies.
    Re-read the 20th June post for amendments and a bit more info.
  • Joy123
    Options
    Thank you, everyone for the helpful replies.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback