Trade Show going ahead despite restrictions, what can I do?

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    20.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Problem is also that its a business to business transaction .
  • ripplyukripplyuk Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Could you get someone more foolish/brave to man the stall for you? I’m sure you know one or two people who have a ‘couldn’t care less’ attitude towards Covid (I know plenty!). 
  • ThisnotThatThisnotThat Forumite
    500 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    mrkat said:
    Thanks for all the replies and for putting things into perspective. I understand that things need to start going back to normal but I am still hesitant about going to an event with thousands of people. A lot of my friends/family were affected by covid and I have friends in their thirties (+ kids) who are still being affected by long covid so I've been extra careful since last March. Now it just feels like I'm being forced to go to a mass event or lose £5k. As one comment mentioned above, yes I would like that 5k back because I know others will also be being careful like me. It's not an excuse to be concerned both about safety issues and the event not being as advertised. As I said - it's the organisers responsibility to get as many people through the door as possible which is what we're paying for but won't be getting. From what I understand, the current restrictions allow 1000 visitors per event or half capacity.

They already showed last year that they don't care for their exhibitors by saying that the show was 'postponed' to the following year, even though it's an annual event. This was to avoid using the term 'cancelled' as this would have meant issuing refunds. I had 4 trade shows booked and this is the only one I didn't get a refund for. I have little trust that they are doing anything now that isn't purely for their benefit.

Well, you need to find another excuse, it not being safe isn't going to work.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    When will it be safe? Covid is something that we all are learning to live with and adapt too. 
  • JamoLewJamoLew Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ripplyuk said:
    Could you get someone more foolish/brave to man the stall for you? I’m sure you know one or two people who have a ‘couldn’t care less’ attitude towards Covid (I know plenty!). 
    I don't have a "couldn't care less" attitude but i'm not going to let the situation rule my life anymore than it needs to

Some actions are rational and evidenced - some aren't

Personal choice does factor in, but its unfair to impact that choice on others (imo)
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    When will it be safe? Covid is something that we all are learning to live with and adapt too. 
    If you have been vaccinated, it is currently pretty safe. I don’t expect that situation to continue, as we are creating conditions where the virus will mutate to infect vaccinated people. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • boonerukbooneruk Forumite
    97 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    GDB2222 said:
    If you have been vaccinated, it is currently pretty safe. I don’t expect that situation to continue, as we are creating conditions where the virus will mutate to infect vaccinated people. 
    This is the worldwide issue I hope is met head on by the developed world. Let's see if they can step up.
  • edited 20 June 2021 at 9:25AM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 20 June 2021 at 9:25AM
    GDB2222 said:
    Are you referring to the concerns of Geert Vanden Bossche and others, or am I misunderstanding you? I got into bother mentioning him earlier this year and I note that some You Tube videos mentioning his theories come with a disclaimer, or disappear.
    I'm no longer interested in trying to discuss scientific ideas that fall outside the government's /MSE's  narrow view of what's important, relevant or whatever; I'm just curious.

• peterhjohnsonpeterhjohnson Forumite
    340 Posts
    100 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    mrkat said:
     I am still hesitant about going to an event with thousands of people. 

OK, I get that. So, if the event had been on 19th July ("terminus day") you still wouldn't have gone?
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you checked your local situation?

I booked 1st and 2nd jab at the same time but was able to bring the 2nd jab forward 2 weeks the other day plus there are walk in centres around here.. could have booked earlier but wanted a weekend slot.  The only downside you had to cancel the current booking before checking what the availability of replacement.