PFP Energy tariffs

Enigmaman
Enigmaman Posts: 268 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
I have signed up for PFP Energy Summer Saver at an average price of £23.67 per month. 

MSE Cheap Energy Club showed PFP Green Variable S2 online as way cheaper than my current tariff, Bulb Vari-Fair. 

PFP told me that their Green Summer Saver tariff was the same price but online comparisons are not showing the tariff they have put me on ...does anyone know if I have in fact switched to a cheaper tariff or have I been misled by PFP's representative?      

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry, but you're doing everything the wrong way.

Start comparing credit tariffs with Citizens Advice and 'Which? Switch', entering your annual kWh usage derived from actual meter readings a year apart. Just compare annual costs, always ignore all projections and savings claims: they aren't realistic because of Ofgem's daft rules.  Remember that separate suppliers are often cheaper than dual fuel, so do the sums for both cases. Also have a look at the customer service ratings on Citizens Advice and the 'Add your feedback on energy supplier xxxx...' threads here on the forum.

Then remember to send monthly readings, keep your own records and check that your DD payments are keeping up with your usage, it's not All You Can Eat: if you use more than expected your DD will be increased twice, once to reflect your higher usage and again to reclaim your arrears.

The PFP website gives fake quotations for E7, ignoring the figures you supply and assuming that you use 55% at night.  They falsely claim that this is the national average, but Ofgem say it's 42%.  It would therefore hardly be surprising if the PFP representative was equally misleading.

• Enigmaman
    I tried the Which? site and the Green Variable S2 tariff still showed up as massively cheaper. 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Tariffs vary rewgionally. What are the rates for the tariff you are on (how much per kWh, how much daily standing charge) and how do those numbers compate to the other tariff?
    And how much do you typically use in a year?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Enigmaman
    Rate 1: 12.7995p/kwh
    Rate 2: 10.24p/kwh  

Standing Charge: 20.18 p per day 

Btw they have confirmed I am on Green Varianle S2 online tariff    
  • Gerry1
    Enigmaman said:
    Rate 1: 12.7995p/kwh
    Rate 2: 10.24p/kwh  

Standing Charge: 20.18 p per day
    Plus VAT?  But not a bad tariff by today's standards.
  • Enigmaman
    They say it is including VAT. I think my current tariff's Rate 1 is over 17p so it looks a good deal. 
  • Gerry1
    edited 17 June 2021 at 11:45AM
    Presumably you have Economy 7, so it's most important that you do the sums yourself.
    Any so-called quotation that PFP Energy give you will be fraudulent, as previously explained; they will fiddle the figures by using a night usage figure of 55% even when you've given them a completely different usage pattern.
    However, the comparison sites give the right answers provided that you have given them accurate day and night annual usage in kWh.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    That's a pretty good tariff.
    What were the equivalent rates with "PFP Energy Summer Saver", the tariff you think you should be on instead?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • tlcgrantham
    tlcgrantham Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    That’s a good tariff but remember it is variable. Their online account wouldn’t accept E7 readings when I joined 2months ago so take a photo of the meter as back up for your opening readings. 
  • Enigmaman
    QrizB said:
    That's a pretty good tariff.
    What were the equivalent rates with "PFP Energy Summer Saver", the tariff you think you should be on instead?
    Apparently, it's the same tariff, different name...I'll keep an eye out for price rises, as it's variable. Can't be bothered to cancel and look for a fixed tariff so will go with this and see what happens. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback