We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Dacia Anti-corrosion Warranty

Options
2»

Comments

• JaneStewart
    Options
    Originally I just went by the sales brochure which stated there's a 6 year anti-corrosion warranty.  I still have it and there's no * beside the statement highlighting any conditions.  It's only when I downloaded the T&C's to see how to proceed it states "To benefit from the Anti-Corrosion Warranty, the customer must approach any member of the Dacia network displaying the make’s brand, which are the only bodies able to carry out operations under this Warranty"  I argued that I thought 'operation' meant repairs.  If I went into hospital for an 'operation' that is totally different from a 'check'.  I remember specifically saying to the salesman the reason I was buying the Dacia was because of the anti-corrosion warranty.  I can't remember him pointing out this stipulation at the time of the sale, but it's my word against theirs!  Even if they'd reminded me of this when they contacted me regarding the 4th service, that would have been helpful and saved me all this grief.    
  • ThisnotThat
    ThisnotThat Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Originally I just went by the sales brochure which stated there's a 6 year anti-corrosion warranty.  I still have it and there's no * beside the statement highlighting any conditions.  It's only when I downloaded the T&C's to see how to proceed it states "To benefit from the Anti-Corrosion Warranty, the customer must approach any member of the Dacia network displaying the make’s brand, which are the only bodies able to carry out operations under this Warranty"  I argued that I thought 'operation' meant repairs.  If I went into hospital for an 'operation' that is totally different from a 'check'.  I remember specifically saying to the salesman the reason I was buying the Dacia was because of the anti-corrosion warranty.  I can't remember him pointing out this stipulation at the time of the sale, but it's my word against theirs!  Even if they'd reminded me of this when they contacted me regarding the 4th service, that would have been helpful and saved me all this grief.    
    As I understand it, that is in reference to getting the repairs done, not about getting checks done.

The checks part is covered by

The application of the Anti-Corrosion Warranty depends on the anti-corrosion inspections carried out on the bodywork, subframe and underbody. The inspections must be carried out at the mileages stated on the Warranty & Service Sheet and at least once every two years. The periodic services within the Dacia Network include these inspections. In the event of the customer requesting the Anti-Corrosion inspection carried out other than during the periodic service, the resultant costs for this inspection will be payable by the customer. At the time of these inspections, the customer will check that the professional who has carried out the operation has properly filled in all relevant anti-corrosion and subframe check coupon
    Although it mentions Dacia, that only appears to be in reference to the checks being bundled into the services offered by Dacia dealers, not that you must have it done through a Dacia dealer.  The bolded part appears to infer that anyone can do these checks (well any professional who is capable of it not just Dacia.)  There is certainly nothing that says "These checks must be done by a Dacia dealer."

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nope.  All the Dacia Dealer did for 3 years was tick a box, so my local garage did likewise. That's all the evidence Dacia Customers services requested when I enquired.  
    How do you know that?
    So, the only evidence on the paperwork handed to you is a check-box, but how do you know there is not other record or action done by the Dacia Dealer?  For example, submitted a record into the Dacia central database.
  • JaneStewart
    Options
    How do you know that?
    So, the only evidence on the paperwork handed to you is a check-box, but how do you know there is not other record or action done by the Dacia Dealer?  For example, submitted a record into the Dacia central database.
    I know that because I scanned a copy of the relevant check sheets to customer services as requested. If there was anything on a database they could have accessed it or requested it themselves. The Dacia garage didn’t show me any evidence of additional records when I went in. They just referred me to customer services. 
  • JaneStewart
    Options
    As I understand it, that is in reference to getting the repairs done, not about getting checks done.

The checks part is covered by

The application of the Anti-Corrosion Warranty depends on the anti-corrosion inspections carried out on the bodywork, subframe and underbody. The inspections must be carried out at the mileages stated on the Warranty & Service Sheet and at least once every two years. The periodic services within the Dacia Network include these inspections. In the event of the customer requesting the Anti-Corrosion inspection carried out other than during the periodic service, the resultant costs for this inspection will be payable by the customer. At the time of these inspections, the customer will check that the professional who has carried out the operation has properly filled in all relevant anti-corrosion and subframe check coupon
    Although it mentions Dacia, that only appears to be in reference to the checks being bundled into the services offered by Dacia dealers, not that you must have it done through a Dacia dealer.  The bolded part appears to infer that anyone can do these checks (well any professional who is capable of it not just Dacia.)  There is certainly nothing that says "These checks must be done by a Dacia dealer."

I totally agree. That’s how I understand it. I  highlighted that but Dacia won’t have it and keep harping back to the check being over 2 years by a Dacia garage. I just don’t know who can fight my corner for me as I’ve gone over and over it with Dacia but they’re just not giving at all. 
  • ThisnotThat
    ThisnotThat Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 June 2021 at 8:26PM
    Options
    How do you know that?
    I know that because I scanned a copy of the relevant check sheets to customer services as requested. If there was anything on a database they could have accessed it or requested it themselves. The Dacia garage didn’t show me any evidence of additional records when I went in. They just referred me to customer services. 
    To be fair they may have a record of it on their end (I'm sure they will to ensure you didn't just fill it out yourself.)

Asking you for copies looks like a get-out clause for them, if you can't show a piece of paper, you lose the warranty (even if they have a record showing the checks were done.)
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    A small piece of rust appeared on the bottom of the drivers door.  
    How bad is the corrosion?
    As described, it may not be sufficient for the anti-corrosion warranty to cover the repair in any case.

A small piece of rust on the bottom of the door could have been caused by use, for example if the door ever scraped a high kerb / pavement on opening.
    Or a stone flying up and catching the door paint work.

To be covered by the corrosion warranty, the rust usually has to be quite severe and from the inside out - if it is rust from the surface first then it is likely that the corrosion will not be covered by the warranty.

Have you checked what is actually covered and that it includes the "small piece of rust on the bottom of the drivers door"?

It is possible that the Dacia will not cover the corrosion in any case but felt it was easier to fall back on the inspections not being carried out than engage in discussion about whether the rust is bad enough to be a claim.
  • JaneStewart
    Options
    It’s on the door sill. The Dacia garage confirmed it would have been covered. I also sent a photo to Dacia customer services and they asked me to get a quote from their nominated garage. They initially said they may contribute towards it but when the quote was £400 they washed their hands of the repair altogether. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback