eBay buyer cash on collection

so long story short, sold and item, arrange to meet half way, he didn't even get out the car, took the item handed over the cash said thanks and drove off. 

I was actually at the location for a couple of hours (walking the dog) so have evidence of parking ticket to say I was there for that long.

4 days later get a message saying they can't get it working properly (I know it worked fine before I sold it) 

tried to help troubleshoot as much as I could over messages.

now getting messages from them saying eBay are going to get involved and get trading standards on it (not sure how as I'm not actually trader)

to this point I still actually haven't been asked for a refund assuming because it's cash they know it wouldn't happen or are they just hoping with the constant badgering I'll offer something at some point

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,183 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A private sale with cash is buyer beware , I’d ignore them. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I had something similar a few days ago - sold something through fb marketplace - they wanted it bringing over - so I said i'd do it for a fiver's petrol. I know it worked before I went - got there - he told me a story about having two exactly the same models previously - and that he'd managed to destroy them both - I asked him to test it while I waited - and he said no it's ok - gave me the cash and bundled it into his house. I got home, and about two hours later the phone started ringing to tell me it was damaged, and not working. I explained that I'd asked him to test it, and that I knew it was working before I left - and there's a chance that he might have damaged it himself. He said of course that he hadn't. I said give me 24 hours to think about it - as obviously I didn't want to refund him as I was sure he'd broken it (or swapped parts from one of his broken ones) and I haven't heard from him since. If it was a cash sale - there's nothing he or she can do. If you're confident it was good before you left (as I was) then your conscience is clear. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • 7Phil
    7Phil Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Private sale, cash payment. Caveat emptor. 

Once the sale is done and the goods handed over it's their problem. If ebay get in touch, deal with ebay directly and ignore the buyer. Otherwise it's not your problem anymore. The deal was done and finalised on the day.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback