NHS NEGLIGENCE

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a ‘no win no fee’company to use with regard to making a claim against NHS, they misdiagnosed a broken wrist, refused to give me an X ray, only to give me one 6 weekslater that led to ongoing complications 

Thank You

Comments

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    caprikid1 said:
    Sarring64 said:
    Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a ‘no win no fee’company to use with regard to making a claim against NHS, they misdiagnosed a broken wrist, refused to give me an X ray, only to give me one 6 weekslater that led to ongoing complications 

Thank You
    I experienced similar, just got on with my life though
    Same here.... 
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No win no fee solicitors will look through the case to see if it's worth taking further. Though I don't know the name used, we had one look at my MIL's case. Refused to be seen in person by the GPs early on in lockdown 1 despite many calls, an eventual take to A & E due to getting nowhere had her scanned, where it was incorrectly written against the scan that she showed no Cancer. A further check some weeks later, had someone else write 'no change since last time' which was then correct, but another failure to see  that it had been written incorrectly in the first place. MIL died 4 months after being told nothing was wrong!

For the family, this wasn't about any money but a wish to flag what had gone wrong and hopefully prevent it happening again. Solicitors told us they couldn't proceed further with the case. I *think* this was because there would have been no different outcome for MIL even if she had been seen and diagnosed correctly.(ie her Cancer was already too far advanced)   The first step the family did was obtain MIL's medical records from the Drs, which is what was then sent to the solicitors. 
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Spendless said:
    No win no fee solicitors will look through the case to see if it's worth taking further. Though I don't know the name used, we had one look at my MIL's case. Refused to be seen in person by the GPs early on in lockdown 1 despite many calls, an eventual take to A & E due to getting nowhere had her scanned, where it was incorrectly written against the scan that she showed no Cancer. A further check some weeks later, had someone else write 'no change since last time' which was then correct, but another failure to see  that it had been written incorrectly in the first place. MIL died 4 months after being told nothing was wrong!

For the family, this wasn't about any money but a wish to flag what had gone wrong and hopefully prevent it happening again. Solicitors told us they couldn't proceed further with the case. I *think* this was because there would have been no different outcome for MIL even if she had been seen and diagnosed correctly.(ie her Cancer was already too far advanced)   The first step the family did was obtain MIL's medical records from the Drs, which is what was then sent to the solicitors. 
    Exactly this - I wish more people would take this approach - HOWEVER - I am a firm believer, that if people have a genuine "loss" then they should be compensated accordingly

Due to the amount of people just trying to squeeze money out of every little thing, it actually means that it is much more difficult to prove medical negligence and many people who have genuinely suffered may lose out

Don't be put off by people saying "how dare you be taking money from the NHS" --- whilst this is true to some extent, it only affects the insurance premium that trusts have to cover such eventualities

A good proportion of solicitors won't even engage with you unless you have already exhausted the complaints procedures in place - so you MUST do this first.

Be factual and honest, no emotion, no "what ifs", no "well this could have happened". Show and evidence exact how and why you have been affected

I have worked in the NHS for 30+ years, so do have extensive insight in this topic and I do believe that people should be held accountable for their actions. As an AHP, I would be concerned if I wasn't
  • squirrelchops2
    squirrelchops2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 June 2021 at 10:25AM
    74jax said:
    caprikid1 said:
    Sarring64 said:
    Hi,

Thank You
    I experienced similar, just got on with my life though
    Same here.... 
    My partner broke his write Dec 2019. Treatment would have been very different if they hadn't have lost his medical files (we subsequently found out) that showed he already had broken that wrist 20 year before but it hadnt healed properly (which he didn't know until this wrist break) and in fact part of the scaphoid had died.  They also didnt have the records showing he had broken the other wrist too and was operated on taking a piece of his hip bone. Bear in mind this all took place at the same hospital as we went to for this more recent break!

If they had have had his full records it is likely that he would have been operated on immediately and the consultant said that if he had seen him sooner he would have recommended this.

Anyway, it is what it is. Partner has a misshapen wrist and already has been told he has arthritis which is likely to worsen and will probably need an operation in the future. We discussed complaining but what good really will it do now.
    Been around since 2008 but somehow my profile was deleted!!!
  • angie_baby
    angie_baby Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 June 2021 at 10:41PM
    My mum visited a&e as she couldn't talk clearly or walk. After waiting for a doctor he insisted on her telling him what was wrong. Mum couldn't and he just kept telling me she was drunk. I tried to explain she wasnt and in the end took her home. The next day she wasnt any better at all and had no movement or speech. The 999 operator asked me if I thought it was a stroke and got us a ambulance asap. Turns out after tests that she did have stroke. I often think about that first doctor we saw and if he had only listened to me she might have been given treatment that could have really made a difference. But mistakes do happen. Mum did get some movement back and was due to come home but then had a massive brain hemorrhage which was the last straw. She was only 38.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sarring64 said:
    Hi,

Thank You
    I can't recommend a company. I had someone try to sue me for negligence, the correspondence from the NWNF solicitor was incorrect and more or less illiterate, my defence organisation solicitors had to explain to them how they were supposed to proceed, write letters and what the time scale was etc 

I strongly suspected that as there was nothing in the case at all, the NWNF had given it to the most junior person for a bit of practice. 

Seems that they start a lot of cases and hope the organisations will pay up without much work on their behalf, when they actually have to do something they tend to let it drift away as it is likely to cost them ++ to proceed with no likelihood of any money at the end 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback