Forum changes - the third sneak peek

in Site Feedback
12 replies 311 views

Ready for another preview of the new Forum homepage? The last two posts have given you an idea of what it’ll look like, but you’ll be happy to know that the new incarnation isn’t just a pretty face. As a taster, here are three new functionalities you’ll be able to play around with (though there are many more in store):

• New top-level category boards such as the ‘Reduce Debt & Boost Income’ board

• The ability to save draft posts and come back to them later

• A regularly changing ‘Community Spotlight’, highlighting one of the most popular boards or threads

But when will you be able to use these features? Just a few more sleeps: launch day is Wednesday 16th June.

For those who’ve asked about the search function, it should be sorted by the end of July, as per this message from MSE Ben:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/78396029#Comment_78396029 

Best,

MSE Laura F

Replies

• Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will we get any other feedback buttons other than a simple "thanks"?
    "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!

* I shall only get involved in new threads, once a dialogue has been established with the OP *
  • kuratowskikuratowski Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    • New top-level category boards such as the ‘Reduce Debt & Boost Income’ board

Are the boards and sub-boards being reorganised then?  We do have a couple that are almost moribund and could do with being merged into their parent (i.e. ISAs and Tax-free Savings, Pensions Auto-Enrolment).
  • edited 14 June at 7:19PM
    One-EyeOne-Eye Forumite
    56.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 June at 7:19PM

new functionalities you’ll be able to play around with (though there are many more in store)

We have been using drafts since February 2020
    There is a "Save Draft" button when creating a thread, and you access them through https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/drafts

... this currently only works for new threads, not for replies, but you can copy and paste a draft as a reply.

• MSE_Laura_FMSE_Laura_F
    218 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    One-Eye said:

new functionalities you’ll be able to play around with (though there are many more in store)

We have been using drafts since February 2020
    There is a "Save Draft" button when creating a thread, and you access them through https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/drafts

... this currently only works for new threads, not for replies, but you can copy and paste a draft as a reply.

Hello One-Eye,

Thanks for this. Apologies - you're absolutely right that the ability to save drafts already exists. What will change is that you'll have the ability to access your drafts easily via its own folder, without having to bookmark the URL or type it in manually. 

Drafts will still only apply to threads and not replies.

Best,

MSE Laura F
  • cloud_dogcloud_dog Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the site has lost 'focus' on the pension/investment/savings side of things based on the categorisation headings applied.

I think it would be useful for people visiting the site to add back in a section relevant to investments/pensions/savings.  Obviously this would simply duplicate existing sub-forums but it would provide a much more focussed top level grouping for people to access.

For example for people looking for posts on pensions would they logically think to look in the 'Work and Benefits' section?  Probably not.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Where would one find "In my home?". A most crucial board for conscientious property owners.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the board had removed the pensions section.  Only to find it in the work and benefits section.     It seems illogical to have it in a different section to investments seeing that pensions are a tax wrapper (like ISAs) and investment in funds and other investments (like ISAs) and many people use multiple tax wrappers, like ISA, GIA and pension to achieve their retirement planning or just plain tax efficiency.

I suspect the savings and investments section will see an uptick in pension posts as people wont find the pensions section where it is.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • edited 16 June at 11:29AM
    oldagetraveller1oldagetraveller1 Forumite
    551 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 16 June at 11:29AM
    This has obviously been designed for viewing on a mobile phone's screen, in portrait!
    There's even less of the forum on the screen of a laptop.
    About two thirds of the screen is taken up by a greyish blank nothing.
    Everything has been re-ordered and I keep getting taken to some weird page where it is necessary to click on all boards, or something similar.
    Awful.

Oh, and I agree entirely with dunstonh's "Stop buying from brands that support cancel culture: Grolsch, Ikea, Kopparberg, Nivea, Octopus Energy."

I left Octopus last year for exactly this reason!

• edited 16 June at 11:33AM
    dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 June at 11:33AM
    There also appears to be no link to take you back to the forum home page.   The link that was forum home (and still says forum home) takes you back one step before that.  Requiring you to click again to view all boards.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • edited 16 June at 11:43AM
    SoozyJ22SoozyJ22 Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 June at 11:43AM
    This has obviously been designed for viewing on a mobile phone's screen, in portrait!
    There's even less of the forum on the screen of a laptop.
    About two thirds of the screen is taken up by a greyish blank nothing.
    Everything has been re-ordered and I keep getting taken to some weird page where it is necessary to click on all boards, or something similar.
    Awful.

Agreed - I view the forum on my laptop and it looks terrible. Far too much blank space and the text I actually want to read is skewed to the right of the screen which is not where my eyes go by default. Increasing the font size has helped shift it a little but it still looks bad. 

Ignore the comments below - I'd not noticed the All Boards link which does what Forum Home used to. 

I agree on the 'Forum Home' too - I always use that to switch between different board and now I have to click on another button to get to the list that I want since I have no idea what top level category they've been grouped under and even if I did it would introduce another unnecessary click to get there. 

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Avro Energy and Green cease trading

What it means for your gas & electrity

MSE News

Energy mythbusting

What really makes a difference?

MSE Guides

Free £6 Amazon credit for some

When you add £50 to gift card balance

MSE Deals