Student maintenance loan

edited 22 June 2021 at 12:33PM in Student MoneySaving
6 replies 304 views
UniArchieUniArchie Forumite
3 Posts
First Post
edited 22 June 2021 at 12:33PM in Student MoneySaving
Has anyone's child ever moved in with grandparents so they get a higher maintenance loan at uni? My partner's wages take our household income up and I think it's really unfair (as he is not my child's father) that this means my son will be entitled to less. My partner has his own children to support. Just curious if people do this, thanks

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    45.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Maybe they do, just as parents use various ruses to get their children into particular schools. However I'd strongly suggest that unless your child is ACTUALLY going to move in with their grandparents NOW that you do not do this! It would be fraudulent and the consequences could make their life extremely difficult. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • tooldletooldle Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I do know of a family who considered moving the main residence of the applicant to that of the lower earning parent. By the time the idea had formed, it was too late for such an action to affect the amount of loan offered.
    I'm in Wales and, our system differs to the other home nations. Does the student finance application ask about other dependent children?
  • UniArchieUniArchie Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    No I don't believe it does, it's just based on household income after pension contributions I believe. Thanks for your reply
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    16.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think you will find  that Student Finance is based on parent's household income, even if child doesn't live them, unless they can prove that they are estranged from their parents and have no contact with them.
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Ambassador
    44.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Moved to "student money saving" board for more responses.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, in my home and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • SpendlessSpendless Forumite
    23.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sheramber said:
    I think you will find  that Student Finance is based on parent's household income, even if child doesn't live them, unless they can prove that they are estranged from their parents and have no contact with them.
    Yes, that's my understanding too. Even if you send son/daughter to live with Granny/Uncle etc, it's not their household income taken into account it's still the parents.

The only time it can make a difference is if parents are no longer together, and the student's main residence is with the lower paid household