Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Abuse on facebook

in Techie Stuff
9 replies 192 views
BriNylonBriNylon Forumite
69 Posts
10 Posts First Anniversary
A friend of mine is on facebook.  Someone keeps posting abusive messages on her page.  They have set up a fake profile and being quite unkind about her.
Is there any way to find out who is behind the fake profile.  Eg isp addresses, location of posts etc?

Replies

• JamoLewJamoLew Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Easiest to just block them
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

Too much effort and will require police help (won't happen) or private costly court case.

Block and continue to block when they try with another account. They will get bored.
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    BriNylon said:
    A friend of mine is on facebook.  Someone keeps posting abusive messages on her page.  They have set up a fake profile and being quite unkind about her.
    Is there any way to find out who is behind the fake profile.  Eg isp addresses, location of posts etc?

So change the settings so only your friend can post on their wall.  And stop accepting friend requests from every man and his dog.
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    44.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So change the settings so only your friend can post on their wall.  And stop accepting friend requests from every man and his dog.
    ⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆
    that

• RumRatRumRat Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get off Facebook, none of it is worth the aggro. It's no wonder the younger generation are shunning it in droves.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • edited 11 June at 9:17AM
    JamoLewJamoLew Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 11 June at 9:17AM
    BriNylon said:
    Also - what would your friend do with this information ?

Abusive is very subjective and nothing can be actioned with regards to "being unkind"

For example: lets say your friend is a large person - if the posts say "gosh, you are fat" -- that would be factual (granted, not very polite to say that to someones "face") and thus no action could be taken

This is the big problem (imo) with social media - people plaster their presence across many platforms and expect everyone to be nice to them and agree with everything they say - anything else is considered to be toxic and jumped on by a pack of wolves. In fact, that's how life is, not everyone is nice and agrees with you and shielding/protecting people from the side of reality doesn't do them any favours in the long term

Of course, some people will always take it too far, which is not aceptable, but most of these platforms have tools in place to allow the user to filter out what they dont want to see/hear.

It might seem drastic or "why should I" when people say don't use that platform etc etc, but if you were in a room with someone who was causing you that many issues - you would leave the room - same thing
  • BriNylonBriNylon Forumite
    69 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Many thanks for the replies.
    I believe she has put measures in place so people she does not know can write on her pages. 
    However, given the nature of the things written she would like to take it further and possibly go to the police or confront the person.  It is quite clear that it is someone she knows as there are things on there about a disabled child who died so it is quite distressing for her. 
  • JustAnotherSaverJustAnotherSaver Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Then she goes to the police and they'll take it from there. That's not me saying they'll pull the guy out of his house by his ear and give him a dressing down in front of her. That's me saying they'll go one way or another when she sees them which will be more than we can do here.

Going forward Neil's answer is the only one needed.
    My privacy settings are as high as you can get. Joe Bloggs can't see a damn thing on my page apart from my profile picture which isn't even a photo of me. I now only have friends and family on my list. I get requests from work colleagues - they get declined or ignored. Just because I work with you doesn't make us friends, you need to understand that. I get requests from people I went to school with who never bothered with me while I was at school. Well sorry but you're not using me to ramp up your friend list number. I'm quite happy with mine being very small thanks.