in Savings & Investments
16 replies 1.1K views
2»

Replies

• unkleunkle Forumite
    325 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Your mum has two properties, she has I assume a lot of capital tied up in them.

To answer properly we'd need to know the values, the income they provide, her income tax position and what CGT would be payable if she were to sell one or both as well as her age etc.

It's very easy to say don't sell. But if they were say worth £1m between them and provided an income of say £2,500 a month gross she may wish to sell and enjoy further what she has built up rather than as she may see it, scrimp and save simply to leave her capital in tact. You can't take it with you as they say..........

It's her money that she has built up over time, think it's harsh to say she should;t be spending on things she doesn't need, if it gives her pleasure why not.

Again depending on values IHT planning may be required as well.
  • barnstar2077barnstar2077 Forumite
    961 Posts
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    It really depends on her behaviour.  If she is someone who spends money like water flowing through her fingers (like my mum did) then she would be a lot worse off in a few years once she has blown it all.  On the other hand though, you can't take it with you, and depending on her age, why not!  I would stick with the higher monthly income personally and learn to budget a bit.  Budgeting doesn't mean not spending a lot of money, it just means being able to spend money you know you have, stress free! 
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • Steve182Steve182 Forumite
    415 Posts
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    FeralHog said:
    Steve182 said:
    A friend of mine has 2 BTL's which are his pension.

He was interested in selling one and investing the proceeds in the stock market but I worked out his CGT liability if he did this was around £60K for just one property, so I suggested he should probably just keep hold of them forever.
    Did you also work out how much income tax he would save over the years by drawing an income from shares instead of property?
    And how substantial future capital gains could be realized without any further CGT liability, with some shares sheltered in ISAs and others realized gradually within the annual allowance? While the CGT liability for property would only get worse.
    In the long run I'm sure he would be better off selling, swallowing the CGT bill and investing in equities in tax wrappers. That's what I would do, but he's not me.

He's more risk averse, so my concern would be that after swallowing a £60K tax bill and investing it all in equities he might not take a significant stock market correction very well. It's much easier to accept such a thing if you're already in profit, and don't feel like you have just been fleeced by HMRC.
    “Like a bunch of cod fishermen after all the cod’s been overfished, they don’t catch a lot of cod, but they keep on fishing in the same waters. That’s what’s happened to all these value investors. Maybe they should move to where the fish are.”   Charlie Munger, vice chairman, Berkshire Hathaway
  • Nebulous2Nebulous2 Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a great deal we don't know: - 
    1) Who manages the properties? As she's getting older that might become more difficult if she is doing it herself. 
    2) How old is she? 
    Others have asked other significant questions, such as how much the properties are worth.
  • tideishightideishigh Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks all, really helpful to have a survey of opinions. 
    My mum is 70, the rental properties are worth about 400-450k combined and bring in around 2k a month. They are managed by an agent. I think what doesn’t help is that my sister and I regularly see elderly people through our work that are living in crappy circumstances which could have been prevented with a bit of foresight and would hate for that to happen to our lovely mum.
    Also, totally get the theme of can’t take it with you, it’s her money etc etc. My parents worked hard and went without in order to pay their mortgage off so it is her time to be spoiling herself, couldn’t agree more. 
    Thanks again for taking time to respond, much appreciated.
  • kidmugsykidmugsy Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tideishigh said:  My mum is 70, the rental properties are worth about 400-450k combined and bring in around 2k a month. 
    Did she qualify for her state retirement pension before 06/04/16?  If so an attractive investment might be to suspend (aka "defer") her state pension for (say) five years.  That way when she restarted it would be 50% bigger.  Buying what is effectively a government-guaranteed index-linked annuity at that price is remarkable value.  It is one investment she could make if she sold her house, and it would spread her risk by diversifying from stocks and shares, and property.
    Free the dunston one next time too.