Student House Utility Bills

I have just stopped my son from agreeing to set up a joint account with his new flat mates for next Uni Year to use to settle their house bills. None of them had considered the impact this could have on their personal Credit Rating if any of the named account holders have a poor Credit Score.  Thankfully they have now decided not to proceed down that route. 
However, we have been looking at alternative arrangements and one of the options is a package provided by the managing agent. They quoted a price of £14 per person per week, which they advise is “the best price on the market”. We have since got comparison quotes from a few online student bills services companies and they range from £7 to £14 pppw. 
I suspect these online companies are not the cheapest even still, but I’m willing to pay a little extra to have it managed for them and also to have cover for unlimited energy and water. After all they are student and aren’t exactly going to have me constantly turning the heating down or moaning about “who’s left the light on again?”  My issue is who regulates this and how can an estate agent claim something is “best in the market” when it’s 100% more expensive? 

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,778
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Check their claim of unlimited energy, often they adjust final payments to reflect final meter readings.
    easiest is for each student to take responsibility for one bill and sort out payments to each other to balance out. The advantage of this is they share the responsibility, are motivated to get the best deals on everything where possible and have a bill in their own name that is useful for address verification.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback