Garden shed leaking HELP!

Options
SUPERGIRL2020
SUPERGIRL2020 Posts: 281 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
Last year I painted the outside of my shed with cuprinol garden shades paint but this year Ive noticed rot inside at the back of the shed as I couldn't get to the back of the shed (see photo)

My question is can I use the same paint and just paint inside the shed?

Will it get rid of the rot?

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Last year I painted the outside of my shed with cuprinol garden shades paint but this year Ive noticed rot inside at the back of the shed as I couldn't get to the back of the shed (see photo)

My question is can I use the same paint and just paint inside the shed?

Will it get rid of the rot?

Paint doesn't "get rid" of rot, it just covers it up.
  • SUPERGIRL2020
    Options
    This is the rot inside 

• Alanp
    Alanp Posts: 688 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes you can use the same paint, I painted the inside of our summer house with a garden shades paint , as said it won’t get rid of any rot but it can be used inside 
  • casper_gutman
    casper_gutman Posts: 627 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it actually rotten, or are there just water marks on the wood? If it's rotten the structure of the material will be breaking down and it'll be soft, weak and spongy or crumbly. You would be ill-advised to paint rotten wood  - it needs to be replaced with new material.

Painting inside the shed may help make it look better if it's just water marked, but won't protect it from water that's getting at it from the other side. It could even make the damp in the timber worse if the panels take longer to dry out after rain.
  • Jeepers_Creepers
    Options
    SG, can you get a spray lance down the back? You know, from a pump-up garden sprayer?
    If there is any concern about actual 'rot' (and you are probably ok so far), then first use Everbuild Lumberjack wood preserver (solvent-free it's nice to use - water-based, colourless, nice light soapy smell) to soak that hidden wall using the lance. Are there plants and shrubs near or touching that end wall? If so, that'll tend to keep it damp - not good.
    Once the preserver is dry, it would be good to coat that end to protect it from water penetration. Again, this will come down to access. Isn't there a 3-4" gap you could run an extended mini-roller along, for instance? Since it can't be seen, I think I'd be inclined to go 'protection' rather than 'aesthetics', and choose a coating that'll be fit-and-forget. Not sure what, tho'... Bedec Barn Paint? Bitumen emulsion? Something like that - a good, long-lasting, protective coating. Or just 'garden shades'...

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Can you get access to the back
    If the window is on the side looks like just trellis/fence behind,  would be worth removing them and having a good look at the outside.

if damaged/rotting better to replace the boards first(not so easy from the inside) 
    if there is vegetation up against the shed that could be moving in the wind an wearing the boards.
  • SUPERGIRL2020
    Options
    I'm not sure its actually rotten wood as casper said above it might just be water marks cos its not soft or breaking 
  • JR09
    JR09 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looks like a bit of water ingress to me. Might be worth checking out a wood waterproofing treatment to repel that water.
  • SUPERGIRL2020
    edited 14 July 2021 at 11:34AM
    Options
    JR09 said:
    Looks like a bit of water ingress to me. Might be worth checking out a wood waterproofing treatment to repel that water.
    Would you say this is rot?

• DB1904
    DB1904 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Looks more like mould.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts