Scrapping a car with V5C changeover & plate retentions.

Options
Ok so there's a bit of upset over where my old car is currently stored so it needs to go. Have been meaning to get round to it but there's forever something else coming up so now i'll have to get on with it.
I need to put the private plate on retention which I've just gone to do now. Aside from noticing it's a 7am-7pm service so i'll now have to do it tomorrow, it said the new V5C issued can take 4-6 week to arrive. That's a bit of an issue.
Can i put the plate on retention and scrap it off the current V5C? I'd imagine not since it'd be for what would then be an old plate and not current.
Basically just looking to see if there's any [legal] way of avoiding a 4-6 week wait (or reducing it).

Comments

• The_Fat_Controller
    Options
    If you can use the online system and there are no problems you should get a new V5C in around 3 working days based on my and many other peoples recent experiences.
    The actual retention certificate can take a bit longer but for you that will not be an issue.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    JustAnotherSaver Posts: 6,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How do you do it online?
    When I bought my current car the guy sorted all that and I never saw what he did. As you say though, the V5C came in record time. 
  • The_Fat_Controller
    Options
    For future reference, when you take a personal plate off a vehicle using the website, it will instantly tell you the new registration number and a downloadable document so that you can get the new plates made up at an authorised place straight away.
    @JustAnotherSaverDO NOT send anything to DVLA at this time unless that is the only option, there is a serious backlog there.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Oh right I thought you meant requesting a new V5C online where it only takes a day or so. I did the retention thing for my wife so i'm good with that.

TFC (or anyone else) ... am I right in thinking you don't actually need to get plates made up to scrap the car? I just whip the old ones off and since they'll be collecting it, I can just put a piece of card in the windscreen with the new reg on?
  • The_Fat_Controller
    Options
    I presume it'll be going by transporter so no plates required.
    You will need the new V5C and the reference number to advise it has been scrapped.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah they'll have to come with something to collect as it's a total non runner now. 
  • Ditzy_Mitzy
    Ditzy_Mitzy Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Have you thought about selling rather than scrapping?  This is MSE, after all.  
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Facebook Marketplace someone will buy it if it's cheap enough.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I had.
    But honestly, the timewasters on FM, I just don't have the time for.
    And if i got anything over scrap value then it'd only be perhaps £100 tops.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback