[Personal Loan] Does it ever make sense to repay in full early vs overpaying?

zoonyx
zoonyx Posts: 235 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 3 June 2021 at 10:29AM in Loans
I've been going around in circles on google, MSE and the various bank websites.  I must be being thick here, because I can't find a simple guide.
I took out a £10000 personal loan in November 2020 to consolidate debt.  2.9% APR over 60 months, total cost around £10800.  It's with Tesco Bank and they have an ERC.
I am now in the unexpected and fortunate position to repay this in full.  My default decision would be to pay it off ASAP and be debt free.  I just don't want to waste money unnecessarily, and I can't work out how best to do this.  

It appears that overpayments are free, but early settlement will cost 2 months interest.  I don't understand how this works - can I leave a minimum amount against the loan for the remaining 4 and a bit years.  Why would a bank allow this 'gaming' of the system?  If I choose the other repayment option of bringing my final payment forward due to that overpayment, do I still get charged 2 months interest at that final month?

Apologies if I am just being thick or missing a sticky thread somewhere, I must be searching for the wrong terms or something.

PS: Another question, my credit rating is excellent (which shows how crap the system is!), will paying it off early or overpaying affect my rating? In part I wish to be debt free in order to buy a house longer term with a mortgage.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, it nearly always makes sense to repay a loan early. 

If no interest is charged on partial overpayments, pay all but a month's worth and let the next DD take the final payment. Any surplus will be returned.

• zoonyx

If no interest is charged on partial overpayments, pay all but a month's worth and let the next DD take the final payment. Any surplus will be returned.

So given the circumstances (namely, ability to pay).. if I overpay all but the final DD, they would then take the final DD next month and I wouldn't have to pay an ERC?  Why would anyone just get an early settlement figure then?  
    and this wouldn't affect my credit rating? Would Tesco Bank (or others) view me poorly in future?
    Thanks for your help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    That's correct. 

People get an early settlement figure when an ERC is paid on partial overpayments and the best thing to do its to pay it all off as quickly as possible.

Tesco may view you as less profitable, but it makes you look less reliant on credit.
  • zoonyx
    That's correct. 

People get an early settlement figure when an ERC is paid on partial overpayments and the best thing to do its to pay it all off as quickly as possible.

Tesco may view you as less profitable, but it makes you look less reliant on credit.
    That's brilliant.  So in summary, it is what I would have expected - I think I went around in so many circles I was looking for a reason why I'd end up doing the wrong thing or get charged excessively.

Thanks so much for the reply :)
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    At this point in the loan you will be paying just over £20 a month in interest. If you delay repaying it for two months you will have paid that out anyway. If you do repay it you will be in profit from month three.

Surely it is worth getting rid of it for forty quid which you will be paying anyway if you leave it? 
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    zoonyx said:

So given the circumstances (namely, ability to pay).. if I overpay all but the final DD, they would then take the final DD next month and I wouldn't have to pay an ERC?  Why would anyone just get an early settlement figure then?  
    and this wouldn't affect my credit rating? Would Tesco Bank (or others) view me poorly in future?
    Thanks for your help.
    This worked for me with my mortgage (not with tesco). Give tesco a call if you are not sure and ask them what the charges will be if you do this.
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • londonice
    londonice Posts: 62 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2021 at 2:35PM
    I recently took out a loan for 9k to get a car and received the insurance settlement.  So I've paid off almost the whole amount minus one month's instalment. See if this works! :smiley:
    Managing well since 2012
    Debt-free
  • londonice
    londonice Posts: 62 Forumite
    Hi again guys.

I thought to update you all that my loan has been satisfied and the account closed based on partial overpayment excluding one month's instalment!

Thanks for the tip and hope this helps others avoid a potentially arduous settlement.  :)
    Managing well since 2012
    Debt-free
  • user1168934
    user1168934 Posts: 564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    "Paying everything except a month's installment ..." is a near trick I did not know before reading these replies. This is not my thread but many thanks to everyone who replied - very useful.
    Marriage is hard. Divorce is hard. Choose your hard.
    Obesity is hard. Being fit is hard. Choose your hard.
    Being in debt is hard. Being financially disciplined is hard. Choose your hard.
    Communication is hard. Not communicating is hard. Choose your hard.
    Life will never be easy. It will always be hard. But you can choose your hard.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback